Adventure Tours 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- The ultimate circuit of the Everest Region including Everest Base Camp
- Cross three passes: the Kongma La, Cho La and Renzo La with amazing views of Everest and other Himalayan giants
- Climb five summits: Nangkartshang, Chhukung Ri, Kala Pattar, Gokyo Ri and Awi Peak
- Enjoy trekking in the quiet Gokyo and Thame Valleys
- Explore the natural beauty and embrace the thrilling adventures of Chile an unforgettable trek
- Embark on a six day long voyage into the stunning landscapes of the Torres del Paine National Park
- Be dazzled by Mexico City's sprawling urban jungle
- Wander among the ancient Zapotec ruins of Monte Alban
- A guided walking tour of Old Havana sheds lights on the difference between the lives of city and rural life in Cuba
- A visit to the Che Guevara mausoleum and museum allows you to learn about the iconic Cuban revolutionary in the right contextTrinidad is a real Cuban treat – step back in time on its old-world streets, then hit some fine palm-flanked beaches
- Try your hand at traditional dance moves with an informal salsa lesson
- Enjoy the summit under the African sky
- Go on a once in a lifetime experience
- An adventures with African experts – we will take you to the summit of Africa.
- Go to the top of a snow caped Mountain in Africa
- Experience trekking the Annarpurna Circuit
- Experience Nepalese Culture and lifestyle
- Trek across Thorung La
- Enjoy trekking from Chame to Pisang
- Explore Yak Kharka while trekking
- Visit Muktinath
- Visit Patan and Bhaktapur
- Visit READ Library in Jomsom
- Get into the heart of Paklenica National Park on foot and by bike, a place where the mountains meet the sea, where stunning deep gorges, lush forests, and lost villages wait to be explored
- Sea kayak out on the silken blue waters of the Adriatic, dramatic mountains the backdrop while following the coast to the delightful fishing hamlet of Vinjerac
- Stroll through Plitvice Lakes National Park, marvelling at luminous lakes and waterfalls that seem to have been sketched by an artist
- Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon
- Trekking in Kalaw
- Inle lake
- Learn from the very best Polo players in the world
- Stay at the family estancia of Adolfo Cambiasso, #1 polo player in the world
- All inclusive trips
- Tours designed to your requirements
- Luxury accommodation
- English speaking guides
- Experience the epic fourteen day trek that has changed the lives of hundreds of adventurers
- The journey to Everest Basecamp is arduous, but completely worth the struggle
- Explore Bali
- Visit Tanah Lot sea temple
- Enjoy a traditional Ramayana Ballet Performance
- Borobudur at Sunrise
- Hike through Vikos Gorge, one of the deepest canyons in the world
- Explore the picturesque, untouched by time, stone – made villages of Zagori, wonder around their narrow cobbled streets and admire the traditional architecture
- Cross historical arch stone bridges
- Hike to the mythical alpine Dragon Lake at 2.100m!
- Admire the panoramic views over Vikos Gorge and take beautiful photos from Beloi viewpoint (1.650m altitude)
- Observe the rich flora and fauna of Vikos – Aoos National Park
- Follow the paths of the ancient monks and hike to the top-cliff Meteora monasteries
- Taste delicious local food and experience the hospitality and warmth of the local people
- Explore Temple of Literature, Presidential Palace, Cooking Demonstration, History Museum, Opera House and Old Quarter.
- Enjoy Meeting Puppet Master and Private Puppet Show.
- Book Trip to Brother Mouse and Khouang Si Falls.
- Visit Pratuxai and that Luang.
- Kayaking River and Exploring Another Cave.
- Exploration as you travel overland and by river to the Mayan ruins of Lamanai
- Enjoy the sounds and sights of the awakening wilderness.
- Explore Belize City, and board a chartered water taxi to Lighthouse Reef Atoll
- Experience Snorkeling at the ‘Aquarium’ is a favorite guest activity
- Explore the underground archaeological site of the Chech’Em Ha Cave system
- Scenic Hummingbird Highway through the Rainforest to the coastal town of Dangriga.
- Activities include paddling, snorkeling the inner and outer walls of the reef, SUP and learning to sail a kayak
- Experience hike a half an hour through the rain forest, and up into a multi-chambered series of caves rich with geological formations
- Travel to Glover’s Atoll, a protected marine park and World Heritage Site, thirty-six miles off shore of mainland Belize
- Explore on foot Athens, the city where democracy was born
- Visit some of the most beautiful and unspoiled traditional Greek villages
- Explore the magical lake Plastira on a kayak or hydro-bike
- Enjoy horseback riding in the lush meadows of Pertouli, surrounded by dense forests
- Climb the Vradeto steps and enjoy the stunning views over Vikos gorge from Beloi viewpoint
- Hike through Vikos Gorge, one of the deepest gorges in the world
- Go rafting in one of Europe’s cleanest rivers, Voidomatis
- Taste delicious local food and wines
- Follow the ancient paths of the monks and visit the cliff – top monasteries of Meteora
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Adventure Experiences
Enjoying intense winter sports in Finland
Taking a long zip-line in Costa Rica through forests eye level with monkeys and tropical birds
Touring the incredible diverse landscapes of Iceland
Hiking historic trails to Machu Picchu
Trekking to Everest Base Camp in Nepal
Enjoying the thrill of a white water rafting trip on the Colorado River
Exploring the amazing Alpine Mountains in France and Switzerland
Jumping off a bridge in New Zealand attached to a bungee cord!
Adventure Trip Reviews
4,345 Adventure Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Adventure Tours and Travel Guide
Adventure Attractions & Landmarks Guide
High adventure gets your adrenaline pumping and may or may not involve some element of risk, though on a good guided tour safety is always the top priority. On a high adventure trip, you may find yourself rafting Class V rapids in Nepal, scaling a mountain peak in British Columbia, steering a dogsled across the Arctic tundra, riding a hot air balloon over Egypt's Valley of the Kings, crossing a glacier in Switzerland, camping in the Moroccan desert, watching whales close-up on a Zodiac in Alaska, or bungee jumping at Victoria Falls. Whatever gets your heart racing, you can find a tour to take you there.
New Zealand and Beyond
Queenstown New Zealand, the self proclaimed “adventure capital of the world,” has every right to the title. With the birthplace of commercial bungee jumping just outside of town at the AJ Hackett Bridge, jet boating, paragliding, and multiple other activities, there’s no other place quite like it for adrenaline junkies!
But that doesn’t mean it’s the only destination for high adventure. South Africa for example lays claim to the longest zipline in the world, and Slovenia is a mecca for spelunkers, with over 8,000 caves available to explore with a guide. Guided adventure travel is a great option, especially for avoiding crowds and getting the best experience possible.
Camaraderie and Achievement
If there’s two things that come out of just about every high adventure tour, it’s the sense of achievement one feels from facing fears and the camaraderie of fellow adventure enthusiasts.
One of the best parts of high adventure is there’s always room to “level up” meaning there is a starting point for everyone. Mountain climbing for example starts on small manageable hills but once you gain confidence you can challenge yourself to tougher and tougher outings.
The Changing Definition of Adventure
If you don’t think “adventure” trips are for you, think again. While the term does bring to mind daring feats pushing the limits of what’s possible, in reality most adventure tours and activities are very safe and cater to multiple levels of experience. Obviously there is some risk involved...this isn’t lounging on the beach! But if you’re on the fence, know that the experience is well worth it.
All Adventure tours, river cruises, and expedition cruises. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Adventure trips.