Biking & Cycling - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Ride remote and rugged mountain biking trails
- Immerse yourself in vast mountain scenery
- Stay in traditional Moroccan Riads
- Enjoy biking the Aubisque, Hautacam or the Tourmalet
- Enjoy viewing the scenery as you bike the Pyrenees hills
- Cycle the bustling streets of hanoi
- Follow the path of the famous reunification express by bike
- Take on the challenge of the hai van pass
- Weave through rice paddies and villages on the back roads of vietnam
- Relax on the beach at nha trang
- Picture-perfect seaside Chania
- An unforgettable coast-to-coast ride
- Savor fresh seafood and other local delicacies
- Soak up sunny skies and diverse natural beauty
- A fascinating mélange of Greek, Turkish and Venetian cultural influences
- Unpack just once, then cruise for seven nights by private canal barge
- Experience the countryside up close, as only a barge-and-bike tour allows
- Learn the art of silversmithing during a private demonstration
- Immerse yourself in local life as you visit a family in their home
- Admire Holland’s iconic, 19th-century windmills
- Picnic alongside historic locks
- Discover Bruges, one of the best-preserved medieval cities in Europe
- Take a guided boat excursion to the center of Ghent
- Sip authentic Belgian beer
- Enjoy attentive service aboard our private barge
- Enjoy a cruise across Lake Champlain while learning about osprey, eagles, and local history.
- Visit charming town of Essex - one of the most intact ensembles of pre-Civil War architecture in America.
- View the impressive waterfalls above what was an important maritime site during the Revolutionary War.
- Visit the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum to learn about watercraft and battles that shaped our history.
- Enjoy an espresso or gougère in a nearby French café, or a sublime piece of the best chocolate ever.
- Cycle through busy bangkok
- Experience colourful chiang mai
- Trek into remote hilltribe villages
- Discover ancient ayutthaya by bike
- Learn the sombre history of kanchanaburi
- Kayak the andaman sea from krabi
- Explore southern Moravia and Bohemia from the seat of a bike
- Starting in Vienna, explore medieval towns and castles en route to Prague
- Cycle 25-35 miles a day with a support crew so you can focus on the scenery
- Tour three UNESCO towns: picture-perfect Telč, Cesky Krumlov and Holasovice
- Sample local breads, cheeses, salamis, fresh fruits and vegetables, and sweets
- Ride between Inca ruins of the Sacred Valley
- Daywalk offering a rare view of Machu Picchu
- Cycle along the shores of Lake Titicaca
- Walk through the medieval cobbled roads
- Enjoy dining experience in Michelin starred restaurants
- Enjoy the thrill of ascending and descending the coast line
- Enjoy the hilly rides in Bideia
- Visit the castle and the convent Carmen before visiting Castello Peralada’s degustacion centre
- See the old quarter known as El Pedro within the medieval walls contains many historic buildings.
- Explore Casa Museu Castell Gala Dali
- Visit some of the workshops including the wonderful Ponderosa run by 2 sisters
- Visiting the famous ruins of Empuries one of the most fascinating archaeological sites in Europe
- Tour Traditions of Quito
- Equatorial Monument or Quito, Culture & Flavors
- Quito City Explorer (Quito by Night & Gastronomic)
- Quito Biking Tour
- Excursion to Otavalo Market
- Excursion to the city of Baos through the Avenue of the Volcanoes
- Lava Tunnels and a turtle reserve in Galpagos Visit to the Scientific Charles Darwin Station.
- Full day Excursion in yacht to Santa Fe Island with vivencial fishing
- Excursion to Cerro Mesa & Garrapatero
- Experience cyclo ride around the city Hanoi
- Visit Ngam Ring, the famous underwater bridge
- Explore Hoi An
- Discover Ho Chi Minh City
- Enjoy cycle to My Son, a world heritage site
- Visit to the Cu Chi Tunnels
- Cycling through the Czech countryside through woods, the Djie national park and past the Trebon Ponds
- Visiting Prague, Cesky Krumlov and the renaissance towns of Trebon and Telc
- Crossing the border into Austria and arriving in Vienna
- Interesting regional cuisine and a good selection of restaurants for dining out
- Explore Canyon Road’s art galleries and the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
- Pore over mysterious Bandelier National Monument
- Visit Ortega’s iconic weaving shop
- Ride Blueberry Hill or to Taos Ski Valley
- Ride the Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway
- Ride to picturesque Arroyo Seco before heading back to Santa Fe and Albuquerque
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Biking & Cycling Trip Reviews
2,415 Biking & Cycling Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Biking & Cycling Tours and Travel Guide
Biking & Cycling Attractions & Landmarks Guide
What could be more exhilarating than exploring a country from the seat of a bicycle?
The call of the open road; the wind at your back; the views that lie ahead. Every sense becomes stimulated: You become acutely aware of the scent of freshly ripened strawberries, the panorama of distant mountains, the jolt from every bump or defect in the road, the thrill of smooth pavement, the song of a bird and the taste of salt on your lips.
Bicycle touring is truly about both the destination and the journey. It will take you at just the right pace to meet the people, enjoy the views and savor the food and the culture of your chosen destination.
And what better way is there to combine fitness with something as pleasant as a bicycle tour?
What Can You Expect from a Bicycle Tour?
The brochures show sunny days, smiling faces, gourmet lunches and plush accommodations. And while the sun may not always shine, the rest of the pictures can be a good reflection of a typical luxury bike tour (there are less plush tours for the budget-minded).
What is virtually certain is that you will immerse yourself into a new region that may come complete with new foods, wines and customs.
Fuel for the day's ride includes both food and vital information. At breakfast, maps may be disbursed and suggestions for the daily route and attractions are discussed. Somebody has already checked out the mechanical condition of your bicycle, but it's still OK to squeeze your tires and make sure that they suit your style.
Wining and Dining
Especially if it's an intended stopping point on your tour, you might find that your lunch has been prepared for you. (If you have dietary needs, notify your tour operator in advance.)
In many cases, welcome and farewell dinners are included as part of your tour. Depending on the tour operator and style of the tour, other meals may be on your own. But that provides the advantage of dining with whomever you want and at whatever time you want -- while enjoying the types of food and drink you prefer.
Don't think that because you are bicycling that you need forget about fine dining. Is there a Michelin rated restaurant in the area? How about a favorite wine that you would like to enjoy right where it is produced? What about a spectacular restaurant view that overlooks the region where you just bicycled?
Options provide guests with not only dining choices, but also with route choices. Are you looking for a leisurely shorter route with plenty of time for shopping, people-watching at a cafe or wine-tasting? Are you ready to challenge yourself and pedal long and hard to accomplish your own fitness goals? Do you want to take it easy one day and push yourself the next?
Keep in mind that your traveling partner, if you have one, needn't necessarily follow the same route and pace that you do. You’re likely to meet new people along the way and perhaps form new friendships in fellow cyclists or locals -- there’s just something about people on bicycles that makes them seem more approachable than other types of travelers.
At the end of the day, when you reach your final destination, you usually have free time to dine, explore or relax with your traveling partner, if you did take separate rotes or travel at different speeds.
Choosing Your Destination
Where do you want to cycle? Has following the Tour de France been a dream or yours? Or does Vermont immediately bring bicycling to mind? Perhaps you would like to enjoy a bike and barge tour or cycling combined with another sport. Maybe a long distance journey suits you best.
You may be surprised by the number of appealing destinations. Popular destinations include France and Italy, but almost every country in Europe offers cycling. The Netherlands offers relatively flat areas, while Ireland takes you through those thousand shades of green.
Riding along canals or waterways, such as the Danube River, is another pleasant possibility. Of course both the U.S. and Canada offer varied terrain for exploration, but don't forget more far-flung cycling destinations like New Zealand, South Africa, Scandinavia and parts of Asia.
Once you’ve weighed all your options and settled on the right bicycle tour for yourself, you’ll have the advantage of knowing just what to expect – and chances are your adventure will be exactly what you had hoped for and dreamed about.
All Biking & Cycling tours, river cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Biking & Cycling trips.