Cape Town - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Cape Town Orientation Tour
- Table Mountain (Cape Town)
- Cape Peninsula (Cape Town)
- Winelands (near Cape Town)
- Robben Island
- Kruger National Park
- Visit Kruger National Park
- Enjoy Africa's incredible wildlife as you explore Singita's private concession with knowledgeable guides
- Explore Cape Town
- Explore Cape Town
- Discover Sanbona Wildlife Reserve and Cape Winelands
- Experience Robertson Wine Tour
- From scenic helicopter rides over the Cape peninsula to climbing the world's renowned Table Mountain.
- Explore Cape Town is one of the world's most beautiful cities and a top international destination
- Visit Sabi Sands is South Africa's premier private game viewing destination
- See the natural wonders of the world, the Victoria Falls is a World Heritage Site and an extremely popular tourism attraction
- Enjoy boat cruise on the Chobe River, as well as daily game drives
Drive to the quaint town of Franschhoek to meander the shops and eateries (purchases and meals not included in the cost of the wine tour).
- Lunch at one of the stunning vineyards in the area. We will reserve a table for lunch at either Delaire Graff or Jordan Wine Estates. (Lunch reservations require advance booking and is based on availability. Lunch not included with the cost of the wine tour.)
- Award winning estate - Anthonij Rupert superior wine tasting (requires advance booking)
- Wine Tasting and Cellar tours Jordan Estate
- Visit awesome andbeyond Phinda Private Game Reserve which is this Reserve comprises seven distinct habitats – from dry sand forest to wetland systems and mountain ranges
- Explore KwaZulu Natal North Coast offers spectacular beaches all along its coastline and is divided into two distinct sections
- Drive through Pretoria South Africa's capital is home beautiful Jacaranda Trees, the Union Buildings, museums, embassies and the country's most succesful rugby franchise, The Blue Bulls.
- See the impressive natural wonders of the world, the Victoria Falls is a World Heritage Site and an extremely popular tourism attraction.
- Explore Cape Town
- Visit Kruger National Park, viewed on guided game drives will provide a lifetime wildlife encounters
- View of Drakenstein Mountains in the distance as you experience some of South Africa's most beautiful landscapes
- Enjoy the famous food and wine culture of Cape Town city
- Experience a safari like you haven't before - a Cape Town Jazz Safari
- You'll visit Franschhoek
- Visit Okavango Delta
- Enjoy a boat cruise on the Chobe River, as well as daily game drives, guided nature walks and tours of the local community
- Explore Livingstone
- Explore the plains that surround you on a morning and evening game drive in Sabi Sand Private
- Discover Cape Town
- Explore Cape Town includes a Cape Peninsula tour which will show you the wonders of Cape Town
- Visit Tswalu Kalahari is South Africa's largest private game reserve
- See the Cederberg Wilderness area situated in the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains is Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Lodge
- Opportunity to encounter zebra, buffalo, giraffe, antelope, lion, cheetah, wild dog, rhino and much more
- Explore Cape Town
- During stay in Tanda Tula Safari Camp experience staying in a Luxury Tent
- Explore Timbavati Private Game Reserve
- Experience cultural & city tour, chance to see significant monuments like the Castle of Good Hope
- Enjoy Sea kayak among the African Jackass penguin colony or take a boat trip to Seal Island
- Guided safari walks
- Experience the view of Table Mountain and the Robben Island in the center of excitement in Cape Town’s harbor
- Visit the beaches at Camps Bay and Clifton and then cross to Hout Bay for a boat cruise that takes you to Seal Island
- Visit Stellenbosch, a wine producing region
- Visit Franschhoek Town
- Explore Timbavati which is popular as the birthplace of the famous African white lions
- Explore Cape Town
- Experience Africa's incredible wildlife as you explore Singita's private concession
- Visit Kruger has an amazing memories and photographs
- Explore wine lands of Stellenbosch and embark on a full day Devon Valley bicycle tour
- Enjoy an Amarula and recount the day’s events
- Explore the Okavango Delta’s permanent channels by boat
- Change lives in disadvantaged communities throughout the country
- Experience the diversity and vibrancy of Cape Town
- Be in awe of the views from Table Mountain
- Savor superb wines and enjoy stunning scenery in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek – mecca for foodies too
- Explore Cape Peninsula on bike or foot and kayak with penguins
- Encounter the “Big 5” animals and more on luxury safari
- Delight in the varied scenery of the Garden Route
- Enjoy a game drive in the internationally renowned Kruger National Park
- Visit the World Heritage site of St. Lucia on the southern tip of Isimangaliso Wetland Park
- Indulge in some leisure activities in the awe-inspiring Southern Drakensburg Mountains
- See the towering rock formations in the incredible Cango Caves
- Relax and soak up the vibrant atmosphere in the beautiful city of Cape Town
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Cape Town Experiences
- Hiking, or taking a gondola, up Table Mountain for spectacular views
- Strolling through the Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden
- Taking a day trip out to Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was once held prisoner
- Wine tasting at some of South Africa's premier wineries
- Seeing the penguins at Boulders Beach
- Spending a day out at picturesque Cape of Good Hope
Cape Town Trip Reviews
438 Cape Town Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Cape Town Tours and Travel Guide
Cape Town Attractions & Landmarks GuideCape Town, with its dramatic Table Mountain backdrop and location at the Cape of Good Hope where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet, is one of Africa’s most beautiful cities and a key stop on any South Africa tour. Ride a cable car up Table Mountain and visit Robben Island, where liberation hero Nelson Mandela was once imprisoned. Cape Town is also near wineries and marine wildlife sanctuaries.
All Cape Town tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Cape Town trips.