England - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Discover enchanting gardens including the subtropical Tresco Abbey Gardens.
- Explore archaeological sites like the Callanish Standing Stones and medieval blackhouse villages.
- Residents of Ireland’s Tory Island introduce you to their language, music and stories.
- London City Tour
- National Museum of Wales
- The Big Pit Museum (Blaenovan)
- Worcester Cathedral
- Ann Hathaway’s Cottage (Stratford-upon-Avon)
- Liverpool City Tour
- Lake District Visit
- Edinburgh City Tour
- Highlands/Loch Lomond Visit
- Explore London’s Museums And Art Galleries
- Visit The City's Rich Theater And Restaurant Scenes
- Explore The Victoria And Albert Museum
- Visit The British Museum, The National Gallery, Hyde Park
- Visit Mont-St.-Michel UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Discover London
- Explore Paris experience a special drive as we continue to celebrate the freedom
- Enjoy the Palace of Versailles
- Discovering Paris the Louvré, Notre Dame & Eiffel Tower
- See the amazing Benedictine abbey is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most revered wonders of Europe
- Explore London, stroll in the centre of Rouen to admire its magnificent cathedral
- See the Rouen historic centre
- Visit with a boat cruise along the River Seine
- City tour in Paris
- Enjoy our sightseeing immersion at Barcelona
- Watch the London Eye, or inquire with reservations for the Harry Potter Walking Tour
- Get an opportunity to visit The Louvre, Notre Dame & Eiffel Tower
- Discover London to Paris
- Awesome Historic London Panoramic Tour
- Picturesque typical village of Volendam
- Visit to Amsterdam
- Discover London
- Explore Bern, the capital city of Switzerland
- Boat ride along the Seine
- Explore Edinburgh is Scotland’s capital city and one of the most active cities in Northern Europe, monumental centre has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Magnificent countryside of high mountains and lakes, boat trip, Loch Ness
- Awesome Ferryboat to Ireland
- Sightseeing tour of Dublin enjoy a stroll on the banks of River Liffey
- Visit Caernarfon, a World Heritage site by the sea overlooked by an impressive castle
- Visit to Amsterdam
- See the Houses of Parliament, the River Thames, the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace
- Explore London
- Sightseeing of Edinburgh
- We will enjoy a stroll on the banks of River Liffey
- Sightseeing tour of Dublin
- Magnificent countryside of high mountains and lakes
- Visit to Heidelberg
- Visit Romantic city of Venice
- Explore a glass-blowing workshop where highly skilled artisans craft anything from delicate figurines to grand, multi-colored chandeliers
- Visit the Swiss Transport Museum, or relax on one of the lovely lakeshore promenades
- Visit the intriguing Hospices Museum
- Discover Oxford’s soaring spires, lovely landscapes and intriguing lore with university insiders
- Walk in Shakespeare’s footsteps and see the Royal Shakespeare Company perform in one of England's iconic theatres
- Experience the dramatic mountain environment of Snowdonia National Park in Wales
- Explore some of the world’s finest art galleries over two continents, from New York City to London
- Voyage across the Atlantic aboard the elegant Queen Mary 2, enjoying a lecture series that illuminates the world of modern and contemporary art
- Learn about architecture as you float up the iconic River Thames to the Tate Britain by riverboat
- Learn about and practice your fly fishing technique with an expert instructor in four Southwest Virginia streams: South Fork Holston River, Tumbling Creek, Buller Dam and Whitetop Laurel Creek
- Take in inspiring lectures on fly fishing and local history and ecology throughout the week, including one from a Trout Unlimited expert
- Visit a local fish hatchery to learn about breeding, hatching and rearing of finfish and shellfish
- Alnwick Castle - Internationally renowned as a major shooting location for the Harry Potter franchise and Downton Abbey, this superb 1000 year old site offers the archetypal English castle experience.
- York Minster - Majestic Gothic spires reach up into the York sky on one of Europe’s largest cathedrals, a focal point for dramatic events throughout English history.
- Robin Hood’s Bay - This beautifully preserved fishing village offers a stunning contrast between its pretty cottages and rugged cliffside setting.
- Yorkshire Dales - The fiercely rugged and verdant expanse is a haven for plant species and hosts some of the UK’s most diverse wildlife, with the beautiful Gothic-influenced city of York at its centre.
- Wordsworth’s Cottage - Famed abode of the poet William Wordsworth and the refuge where he produced some of his greatest works, this cottage is full of the great man’s secrets and truths.
- Lake Windermere - Spiritual home to Beatrix Potter’s fabulous stories, the largest natural lake in England provides historical and natural fascination.
- Scottish Borders - Explore from the ancient boundary of Hadrian’s Wall to the great city of Edinburgh.
- CITY TOUR in London and Paris
- ORIENTATION of Bath and Windsor
- VISIT the Roman Baths in Bath, Stonehenge, St. Severin Church in Paris and the Palace of Versailles
- VIEW the Eiffel Tower, the Champs Élysées, Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame Cathedral
- SEE Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace and the White Cliffs of Dover
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top England Experiences
Visiting iconic literary destinations such as the homes of Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and Charles Dickens
Strolling along the Thames
Visiting the Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens
Enjoying afternoon tea at Hampton Court
Walking through the impressive Windsor Castle
Visiting the imposing Tower of London and learning it’s dark history
Watching a theater performance at the Globe Theater
Driving through the idyllic countryside in Kent
Marveling at the mysterious and enigmatic Stonehenge
Taking a tour of Oxford University where Harry Potter was filmed and JRR Tolkien once taught.
England Trip Reviews
273 England Tour Reviews - Summary 93% Recommend
England Tours and Travel Guide
England Attractions & Landmarks Guide
The land of Shakespeare, Stonehenge, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queens and Kings, and of course Harry Potter, England has much to offer travelers to its shores. A country in the United Kingdom, England is a popular destination for music lovers, theater lovers, and history lovers.
While the wider UK has much claim in the literary world, England has produced perhaps the most recognizable list. From Shakespeare to Jane Austen, it’s a literature enthusiasts dreamland, and several tours that visit England include a comprehensive look at famous literary sites.
You can visit Shakespeare’s house, the Globe Theater, Charles Dickens home, and even the pub where JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis use to meet for a pint and lively conversation.
While it might seem cliche, England really does have a fair share of idyllic countryside. Rolling green hills, quaint cottages, lakes, ponds, and country roads are most quintessential in Kent, the Cotswolds, and the Lake District. These areas showcase a unique beauty, and many tours will explore them as a part of their itinerary.
A more wild version can be found in the far north of England, in Yorkshire, the famous home of the Brontes who spend their youth exploring the moors surrounding their fathers Parish. Down in the south of England you’ll find the mysterious Stonehenge site, surrounded by more misty, expansive moorland.
The Downton Abbey Phenomenon
While many films and novels have put England on the map, the success of Downton Abbey has drawn a new, larger audience to the country. The show has also shed a light on the beautiful stately homes, mansions, and castles so admired by visitors. These houses survive primarily on tourism and Downton has boosted their popularity in a wonderful way. Try a Downton Abbey Tour to see them and other filming locations from the show.
All England tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.3 for all England trips.