Family Friendly - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Experience an overnight train ride from Bangkok and wake up in the morning to dazzling Chiang Mai
- Discover a slower pace of life on a boat journey down the Mekong River, with a night spent in the remote village of Pakbeng
- Kayak around stunning Halong Bay and explore its secret beaches and caves
- Challenge the family to see who can make the best pad thai in a cooking class
- Encounter incredible wildlife
- Snorkel and swim with sea turtles and manta rays
- Kayak at tortuga bay
- Visit the charles darwin research station
- See giant tortoises in their natural habitat
- Explore the Amazon Jungle
- Inca Ruins
- The lost city of Machu Picchu
- Train Journey
- Walking from a rain forest on to Fox Glacier
- Panning for gold
- Cruising though spectacular Fiordland National Park
- Explore the famous colonial squares of Havana and get lost in its quaint cafes and shops
- Zipline over the lush Viñales Valley and experience traditional life in rural Cuba
- Snorkel through the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea
- Learn how to make colorful Cuban ceramics and art with a famous local artist
- Visit Havana’s funky art installation of Fusterland
- Take a guided walk through the lush lower trails of Kinabalu National Park, witness Mt Kinabalu in all its glory at dawn, and enjoy a well-earned dip in the Poring Hot Springs
- Stay overnight among the birds and beasts of the jungle, right next to an oxbow lake, at Kinabatangan Eco Camp
- Visit the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and, if you're lucky, watch baby orangutans learn to swing in a special enclosure
- Swim, snorkel and stroll along the sandy beaches of Dinawan Island.
- Fascinating game drives
- Enjoy chaperoned activities such as a bugs & bones ecology walk and a chefs-in-training cooking lesson
- Experience equestrian rides, forest walks, spa treatments, sandy beaches
- Explore the surrounding winelands for tastes of the crisp white and classic french-style red wines the region is famous for producing
- Embark on a short horseback ride for panoramic views of the wellington and drakenstein mountains and estates
- Visit Pompeii and get close to Mt Vesuvius' crater
- Enjoy boat trips and kayak along the beach
- Learn how to make an authentic Neapolitan pizza
- Superb coastal walk along the 'Path of the Gods'
- The Salmon River Canyons is a trip with “pool and drop” characteristics
- Plenty of rapids, sun and dramatic scenery await you on an adventure-packed day of family white water rafting
- Visit a Native American rock art site, left by the original inhabitants of this rugged land
- We'll see the confluence of the Salmon and Snake Rivers
- We'll see the original Nez Perce trail descending down the canyon to a ford used for centuries by the Nez Perce as they travelled east from the Wallowa Mountains
- Visit our own River Dance Lodge, a beautiful log cabin adventure resort just two hours east.
- Horseback riding, hiking, fishing and biking are a few of the available activities
- Visit the Terracotta Warriors Museum, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and create your own Terracotta Warrior under the guidance of a local expert.
- Take a bicycle ride along Xi’an’s old city walls.
- Climb watchtowers on a less-visited part of the Great Wall and have lunch on the observation deck of Shanghai’s iconic Oriental Pearl TV Tower.
- Join local masters to learn Chinese cooking or tai chi, kung fu, or traditional kite-making.
- Two-night stay in Paris featuring a scavenger hunt in the Louvre
- 5-night Rhône River cruise
- visit to a private ranch in La Camargue
- family cooking demonstration
- chocolate tasting
- Provence medieval towns
- Kick back on costa rica's pristine beaches
- Visit a local family to learn to make tortillas
- Spot nature in a dense cloud forest
- Enjoy the natural beauty of manuel antonio national park
- Kayak and paddle-board in la fortuna
- Enjoy Sea Kayaking in the warm, clear waters of Loreto Bay National Marine Park
- Have a chance to see Spot dolphins, sea lion and whales
- Experience Snorkeling in the crystalline waters of the Sea of Cortez
- Biking past rice paddies on the Mekong Delta
- Getting a personal mahout lesson on an elephant
- Visiting a floating village in Halong Bay
- Get a load of Victoria Falls, an amazing thundering spectacle. Optional activities for those arriving early include white water rafting, canoeing and flying fox rides
- Go wildlife-spotting along the river at Chobe National Park, home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants
- Enjoy some truly unique accommodation in Elephant Sands. Greet elephants as they come to drink from the pool!
- Get familiar with the fine art of 'poling' as you and your family ride a traditional dugout canoe through the waterways of the Okavango Delta
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you and your family will never forget. As night falls, the sounds of the African bush are like nothing else
- Support local conservation by visiting the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos reside
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Family Friendly Experiences
Stopping at Terres d’Amanares, and trying zip lining
Visiting numerous waterholes in Etosha National Park to spot wildlife
Watching the kids participate in scavenger hunts and hands-on lessons
Spotting humpback whales at Point Adolphus
Visiting Sepilok Orangutan Centre to see Orangutan
Swimming and snorkeling in Gocek’s clean waters
Family Friendly Trip Reviews
806 Family Friendly Tour Reviews - Summary 97% Recommend
Family Friendly Tours and Travel Guide
Family Friendly Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Multi-generational travel -- when grandparents, parents and kids all travel together -- is one of the hottest trends in group travel. As every parent knows, to have a successful trip, the first ones you have to please are the kids. But that doesn't mean limiting yourself to beach or theme park vacations. Many tour operators offer special family trips -- including adventurous and grandparent-grandchild trips -- that are specially suited to keeping kids (and everyone else) happy travelers.
Education Meets Adventure
Cultural tours are a fantastic way to introduce kids to the magic of history and give them exposure to other cultures and customs. Hands on museums, activities, and demonstrations are the perfect way to provide a connection with place and past. For kids, as with adults, the intersection between education and adventure is much smaller when traveling- as they discover the world, they will not even realize how much they are learning.
For kids, travel is the whole experience, from the moment you arrive at the airport. Through their eyes, even the stress and annoyance of long lines at security and customs can be enjoyable. And as they discover the world around them, soaking in different cultures, foods, and languages, you will gain a new appreciation as well.
There is some debate as to the best time to start traveling with kids. Is as a baby too young because they won’t remember? Is as a toddler too difficult? Whatever you choose, know that there are several tour companies that cater specifically to families, and will help provide the support you need, as well as fun and engaging activities for the younger travelers.
All Family Friendly tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Family Friendly trips.