France River Cruises - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- The Burgundy region in France hosts rolling hills covered with oak and maple forests as well as world renown vineyards, hearty cuisine and pastoral French countryside.
- The Burgundy region of France offers a variety of cruises on either the Nivernais Canal or the Burgundy Canal.
- Visit, with their painted shutters and doorways framed in roses.
- Learn how the construction of the 155-mile Burgundy Canal, a masterpiece of pre-Industrial Revolution design, forever changed the social evolution of the Burgundy area in France.
- Visit the Abbey of Hautvilliers where the monk Dom Perignon first made Champagne
- Visit to the world famous cellars of Moet and Chandon for a tour and tasting
- Visits to small family-run vineyards
- Visit Meaux and Coulomniers, one of the centres of Brie cheese
- Visit the magnificent Chateau of Vaux-le-Vicomte
- Visit the World War II Peace Memorial Museum
- Visit the famed Sacre Coeur Basilica, with its dramatic perch on the top of the Montmartre hill.
- Enjoy cruising on Seine River
- Explore the sleepy village of Les Andelys
- Enjoy views of Chateau Gaillard, an imposing fortress from the era of Richard the Lionhearted
- Visit Rouen's wonderful Gothic Notre Dame Cathedral
- Visit the Benedictine Order Castle at Fecamp and savor a taste of the famous Benedictine liqueur
- Visit the Battery at Longues Sur Mer
- Unpack just once and journey through five European countries—Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, France, and Switzerland
- Cruise aboard our award-winning 140- to 164-passenger ships with a dedicated English-speaking crew
- Experience this European itinerary, and uncover a local and American perspective in destinations like Speyer, where you’ll enjoy a Home-Hosted Kaffeeklatsch
- Explore with an expert, local Program Director—a native or resident of Europe—who will be dedicated to your group of no more than 47 from the start to the end of your trip
- Onboard welcome reception
- Choice of excursion to Black Forest, or guided visit to Badische Winzerkeller
- Guided tour, visit to La Petite France district and the gothic cathedral
- Special treat; choice of visit to Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum, or cable car ride to the Niederwald Monument in Rüdesheim; scenic cruising through the Rhine Gorge; time at leisure in Boppard
- Choice of guided tour in Frankfurt, or guided tour in Seligenstadt
- Guided tour
- Guided tour, visit to the Bishop’s Residenz
- Guided tour, see the Old Town Hall
- Full day guided tour in Munich
- Choice of Roth guided tour, or Nuremberg guided tour, or Nuremberg Rally Grounds tour; lecture on board
- Guided walk; beer tasting on board
- Guided walk
- Guided tour of the Benedictine Abbey in Melk; scenic cruising through the Wachau Valley
- Guided sightseeing
- Guided tour, see Heroes’ Square
- Your breathtaking river cruise begins on the Rhine River in Basel, Switzerland
- You’ll sail to Breisach, your starting point for a Black Forest excursion, and to the city of Strasbourg, France, along the way
- Enjoy 8-day cruising with river
- Opportunity to visit 1 UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Explore Pairs
- Enjoy the tour to the historic beaches of Normandy
- Visit magnificent Notre Dame Cathedral.
- Enjoy cruise on the Seine river
- Visit the Chateau de Bizy
- See the fascinating Notre Dame Cathedral
- Explore Paris enjoy visiting historic and beautiful city
- Explore Bordeaux
- See fascinating Bordeaux’s highlights, including the Place des Quinconces
- Visit Saint-Émilion, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Discover Blaye
- Enjoy a wine country tour featuring several wine-tasting opportunities
- Join in a fascinating Pastry or Chocolate Tasting
- Walking tour of old Dijon
- Enjoy Wine tasting at Château de Meursault
- Visit to Château de Commarin
- Attend a tasting of authentic German beers
- Attend a tasting of authentic German beers
- Guided tour of the magnificent Alhambra and its gardens.
- A visit to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of CARCASSONNE.
- Cruising Cinque Terre.
- Explore the Roman sites of the city in the Gothic quarter.
- City tour including Belem and Alfama quarters, the Monastery of Jeronimos
- Explore the incredible Medieval Château
- Visit another quaint village; Bize Minervois – where the first stop will be at the Oulibo for an olive-oil tasting
- Discover Minerve, it has a fascinating history and was the site of an important battle in the Crusades
- Visit beautiful, lively town of Pezanas
- Experience floating in the scenic open waters of Etang de Thau – Europe’s largest oyster and mussel park.
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top France River Cruises Experiences
France River Cruises Trip Reviews
2 France River Cruises Tour Reviews - Summary 100% Recommend
France River Cruises Tours and Travel Guide
All France River Cruises, tours, and packages. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 5.0 for all France River Cruises trips.