Ganges River - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Flowing through India and Bangladesh, the Ganges River is over 1500 miles long and holds sacred meaning in Hinduism. Along it's shores, an ancient bathing ritual is performed which pays homage to ancestors, and it's waters are coveted for containing mystical properties. An increasingly popular destination for river cruises, a trip down the river gives a unique view of the country and many ways in which the Ganges is essential t ... Read More
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Taj Mahal
- Delhi Sightseeing
- Elephant Ride to Amber Fort (Jaipur)
- Sunrise Boat Ride on the Ganges River
- Durbar Square (Kathmandu)
- Travel the north of India, touch the man-made beauty of the incomparable Taj Mahal and the Red Fort in Agra.
- See the Palace of the Winds and Royal City Palace in Jaipur
- Visit holy river in Varanasi.
- Visit Nepal in the golden triangle route with Kathmandu, Chitwan National Park and Pokhara.
- Visit the mysterious Bhutan.
- Travel the north of India, touch the man-made beauty of the incomparable Taj Mahal and the Red Fort in Agra
- See the Palace of the Winds and Royal City Palace in Jaipur
- Visit the holy river in Varanasi.
- Travel the south of India, the glory cinema show in Bollywood
- Enjoy a peaceful backwater cruise in Kochin
- Visit Pondicherry, the location of the entire first act of Life of Pi.
- Visit Nepal in the golden triangle route with Kathmandu, Chitwan National Park, Lumbini and Pokhara.
- As one of the most important human civilization cradle, India and Nepal offer enough spirituality to inpsire – the Jama Masjid mosque in Delhi, the ghats of Varanasi, and plent of Hindu and Buddhist pilgrimage sites; evening prayer ceremonies, ancient bathing rituals and candle flower ceremonies on the Ganges.
- Enjoy a sunset tour to the magnificent Taj Mahal
- Visit Amber Fort in Jaipur
- Explore the fascinating city of Kathmandu
- Watch a spectacular sunrise over the Himalayas
- Tour Abu Dhabi city and enjoy the picturesque scenery
- Spend time at the aromatic Spice Souk and the glittering Gold Souk in Dubai
- Explore the capital of Rajasthan, Infused with culture and embellished with timeless palaces with beautiful architecture
- Discover Delhi is a city filled with history, culture and heritage
- Visit the Jama Masjid, Red Fort, Chandini Chowk and Raj Ghat
- See the amazing Agra, home to one of the Seven Wonders of the World
- Visit Varanasi
- Visit the enchanting Temples of this holy city
- Cruise along the picturesque Lake Pichola
- Take an exciting auto-rickshaw ride through Jodhpur
- Enjoy a thrilling jeep ride at Amer Fort
- Canter Safari excursions in Ranthambore/Keoladeo National Park
- See the majestic Taj Mahal change color at sunrise
- Witness the beautiful Puja ceremony
- Cruise along the legendary River Ganges
- Breathtaking Sites: Stand in awe as the afternoon sun bathes the ethereal beauty of Agra’s Taj Mahal, plus visit spectacular Agra Fort. Discover silent Fatehpur Sikri, a perfectly preserved Mughal city dating from the 16th century.
- Princely Capitals: Admire regal cities built by maharajas. In the “pink city” of Jaipur, visit the Amber Fort, City Palace Museum, and Jantar Mantar, an 18th-century royal observatory. In the “blue city” of Jodhpur, explore Mehrangarh Fort, home to royal palaces with priceless decorative arts. And in magical Udaipur, the “city of lakes,” discover the vast riches of the City Palace and enjoy its panoramic views over the scenic lake setting.
- Wildlife: Accompanied by expert naturalists, visit two renowned wildlife refuges. In Ranthambore National Park, take game drives in search of monkey, wild boar, jackals, and the elusive Bengal tiger, and in Keoladeo Ghana National Park discover some of the 400 species of exotic birds at home in this World Heritage-listed bird sanctuary.
- The Royal Rajasthan on Wheels: To better experience these imperial capitals and remote but fascinating places, travel for five nights in comfort aboard our luxury train, designed to re-create the splendor of the royal maharajas.
- Visit the grand Mughal and colonial monuments of Delhi
- Enjoy a sunrise cruise on the sacred Ganges in Varanasi
- Discover the gastronomic delights of Varanasi on a fascinating culinary tour
- Travel to Agra to experience the timeless beauty of the Taj Mahal at sunset
- Hear your steps echo atthe abandoned capital of Fatehpur Sikri
- Admire the views from the massive Amber Fort in Jaipur and visit the stately Hawa Mahal
- See the sights in vibrant Mumbai and sail out to Elephanta Island
- Visit Raj Ghat, a beautifully serene monument.
- Visiting the Jama Masjid, the largest mosque in India
- Enjoy short ride by rickshaw through the crowded lanes of the Chandni Chowk bazaar.
- Visiting Qutab Minar, a spectacular example of Indo-Islamic architecture topped by a 234-foot-high tower.
- Enjoy a bird's-eye view of Jaipur and its surroundings
- See the Jantar Mantar, a remarkable astronomical and astrological observatory built in the 18th century
- See the Royal Bengal tiger
- Visit the sprawling Agra Fort on the bank of the Yamuna River.
- Visit the east and west temple complexes that the Chandelas constructed.
- Go rafting on the Ganges from Shivpuri to Rishikesh
- Take daily yoga classes and get a wholesome massage
- Peek into local life at Himalayan villages nearby
- Explore Delhi
- Visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites- Humayuns Tomb and Qutub Minar
- Explore Varanasi and visit Sarnath, the birthplace of Buddhism
- Visit Orchha temple and spectacular view of soaring temple spires and cenotaphs
- Visit the magnificent monument to love, the Taj Mahal.
- Visiting highlights and natural wonders of 19 countries
- Spent driving through France, Belgium and Luxembourg
- Visit the sobering WWII concentration camp of Dachau
- Boat trip on the Danube River
- Visit Romani's famous Dracula’s Castle
- Visit the impressive Tsaravets Fortress
- At the end of the day soak your aches away in the Turkish baths and tantalise your taste buds with Turkish delights
- visit Amritsar
- Visit Agra and the Taj Mahal
- Spent exploring the numerous pagodas and palaces in Mandalay
- Explore Kuala Lumpur
- Humayun's Tomb, India's largest mosque Jama Masjid and India Gate, Qutub Minar, Red Fort. Take a Rickshaw ride through Old Delhi.
- Sunrise boat ride along the Ganges River and explore its many temples. Varanasi
- Bandhavgarh NP - home of the elusive Bengal tiger and exotic Indian wildlife
- Visit the stone carved temples, famous for their erotic sculptures dep icting the Kama Sutra. Khajuraho
- Guided city tour of Agra with sunrise visit Taj Mahal and Mehtab Bagh.
- Hop on a rickshaw for a ride around this UNESCO-listed site in Bharatpur, famous for its impressive diversity of bird species, Keoladeo Ghana National Park
- The Pink City of Rajasthan - The Amber Fort, regal City Palace with Elephant / Jeep ride at Amber, Jaipur
- Guided sightseeing tour to Bikaner, Osian, Jodhpur, and enjoy an life time experience camel ride in Jaisalmer.
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Ganges River Experiences
Seeing the ancient city of Varanasi
Walking down a set of "Ghats" or stone steps which lead to the banks of the Ganges and are important to many Hinduism rituals
Witnessing the Hindu bathing ritual
Taking a boat tour and feeling the true expanse of the river's size
Visiting a temple in Gangotri dedicated to the goddess Gange
Ganges River Trip Reviews
43 Ganges River Tour Reviews - Summary 100% Recommend
Ganges River Tours and Travel Guide
Ganges River Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Flowing through India and Bangladesh, the Ganges River is over 1500 miles long and holds sacred meaning in Hinduism. Along it's shores, an ancient bathing ritual is performed which pays homage to ancestors, and it's waters are coveted for containing mystical properties. An increasingly popular destination for river cruises, a trip down the river gives a unique view of the country and many ways in which the Ganges is essential to everyday life.
All Ganges River cruises, tours, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 5.0 for all Ganges River trips.