Germany - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Germany is a land of contrasts, where walled Medieval towns coexist with high-speed Mercedes-filled autobahns, and where quaint Black Forest and Bavarian villages share the same soil as ultra-hip Berlin and pulsating cities like Munich and Hamburg. Rhine River and Moselle cruises are ever-popular, and the long-defunct "East Germany" has been resurrected -- witness the total rebuilding of Dresden, firebombed during World War II ... Read More
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Sparkling wine picnic lunch transported in style via old-timer Aagland 'horseless carriages' - the same ones used in a 2018 German royal wedding; a private riverboat cruise along the Rhine River followed by a wine tasting in the valley
- guided tour of the Mercedes-Benz Museum or an interactive cooking demonstration featuring German specialties
- dinner at a romantic 'pudelstein' hut in the heart of the Black Forest
- private visit to King Ludwig II's Linderhof Palace
- private tour of the New Green Vault in Dresden's Royal Palace
- museum pass and audio guide for Berlin's Museumsinsel
- farewell dinner in Berlin at a restaurant atop the German Bundestag parliamentary building overlooking the city
- Visit Berlin, Dresden, Nuremberg and Munich on your time.
- Explore at your own pace – use the suggested daily activities, or create your own.
- Tour the eclectic city of Berlin, home to the Brandenburg Gate and Museum Island.
- You’ll have wonderful accommodations at each stop.
- Enjoy a city tour of Munich, Germany’s vibrant capital city!
- Walking through the stunning Rhine Valley
- Exploring ancient wine-growing villages
- Experiencing the areas rich history through its impressive castles and towns
- Discovering the charming town of Koblenz where the Rhine meets the Moselle River
- Experience the lush landscape of the Black Forest region
- Explore Holland’s famous windmills and waterworks and take part in the inviting nightlife in Rüdesheim’s Drosselgasse.
- Set at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers
- Berlin: Drive along the Unter den Linden past the Humboldt University and Opera. See the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag building.
- Dresden: See the Frauenkirche, ‘The Procession of the Dukes', mosaic mural, Opera House and Zwinger Palace.
- Rothenburg-ob-der Tauber: Explore the most well-preserved medieval town in Germany.
- Munich: See the Marienplatz, Town Hall and Glockenspiel.
- Bavarian Alps: Visit the Wieskirche, a masterpiece of Bavarian rococo.
- Lindau: Cross the causeway to this delightful island town.
- Rhine Valley: See the Deutsches Eck Monument in Koblenz. Enjoy the scenic vista from the Niederwald Monument.
- Oberammergau: Dine in a local restaurant amid the buzz of excitement from Passion Play goers and enjoy local hospitality before the second half commences.
- Rothenburg: With a master artisan, learn the history of the traditional pastry Schneeballen (snowball), followed by a tasting.
- Rothenburg: For your dining pleasure, you're offered an excellent selection of Rothenburg restaurants, each with its own distinctive ambience and cuisine. From local Franken specialities to international menus, your Tour Director's inside knowledge ensures a more intimate and authentic dining experience.
- Mainz: Take a seat on the terrace for stunning views of the Rhine. Tantalise your taste buds and toast to the culmination of your Germanic journey during a sumptuous Celebration Dinner with all the trimmings.
- Included Quality Dining: 9 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 6 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
- Berlin: In the heart of West Berlin, right by Kurfürstendamm, the stylish Swissotel Berlin features a remarkable collection of contemporary German art, state-of-the-art technology and exclusive, luxurious amenities.
- Rothenburg: Located in the historic centre of medieval Rothenburg, the Hotel Eisenhut consists of four patrician houses from the 12th and 18th centuries, furnished with select antiques and original artwork.
- Nuremberg: See the city walls and tour the Old Town on a guided tour with a local historian.
- Oberammergau: Experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made this town famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ’s last days, this is an event not to be missed.
- Heidelberg: Climb up to the magnificent castle built in red sandstone, overlooking the Student Prince's town. See the Great Wine Vats, Apothecary Museum and enjoy panoramic views of Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley.
- Rhine Valley: Cruise beneath the semi-ruined castles and terraced vineyards. Sleepy villages slip by as you saunter upstream to the Lorelei Rock where the enchantress lured sailors to their doom.
- Explore the cobblestone streets of Rothenburg
- Opportunity to see red sandstone ruins of Heidelberg Castle
- Visit fascinating Bamberg town which is know as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Discover Nuremberg
- Discover Neuschwanstein Castle
- Visit Nuremberg, Ansbach and Heidelberg
- Enjoy paddleboats, wind surfing and biking
- Explore Munich, Würzburg and Bamberg
- Visit former concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau
- Vaporetto ride in Venice
- Hofburg Palace (Vienna)
- St. Martin’s Cathedral (Bratislava)
- Matthias Coronation Church (Budapest)
- Gypsy Concert (On Board – Budapest)
- Old Town with Concert (Osijek)
- Petrovaradin Fortress (Novi Sad)
- Kalemegdan Fortress (Belgrade)
- Iron Gates Gorge
- Baba Vida Fortress (Vidin)
- Palace of Parliament (Bucharest)
- Optional Dracula’s Castle Extension
- Experience walking Tour of Amsterdam
- You’ll visit major highlights of Anne Frank’s House (Amsterdam)
- Visit Haymarket (Cologne)
- Visit Jewish Baths (Cologne)
- Visit Gothic Cologne Cathedral (Der Kölner Dom)
- Walking Tour of Old Town (Koblenz)
- See the fabulous St. Castor’s Basilica (Koblenz)
- Schängel Fountain (Koblenz)
- Mannheim Palace
- Walking Tour of Strasbourg
- Story of Berlin Tour
- Optional Potsdam Tour
- Nuremberg City Tour
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber
- Danube River Boat Excursion
- Munich City Tour
- Optional Visit to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- Attend unique wine festivals at wine-producing region
- Sail in River Rhine
- Visit Gutenberg Museum and St. Stephan’s Church
- Discover Koblenz, Cologne, Mainz and Heidelberg
- Explore Germany’s Black Forest
- Explore the lush valley of the Neckar River
- Ride around the Kaiserstuhl
- Enjoy a special luncheon in Liechtenstein
- Visit to the Salzburg Dome Cathedral and St. Peter's Monastery
- Enjoy a wonderful immersion tour of Salzburg
- Explore views of Lake Geneva
- visit the capital city, Vaduz, and enjoy an immersion walking tour
- Enjoy riding along the Danube Bike Path
- Discover the Old City in Passau
- Visit 'Donau Auen' National Park
- Enjoy a casual bike tour of the main sights and explore Budapest
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Germany Experiences
Taking a Rhine River cruise.
Visiting the historic city of Lindau, a historic city.
Celebrating and meetin new friends over classic German beers during the Oktoberfest.
Visit to the Gothic cathedral, known as Cologne Cathedral.
Enjoying walking or biking and taking in the sites in Heidelberg.
See the symbolic Brandenburg Gate
Visit the stunning fairytale castle at Neuschwanstein Castle.
Germany Trip Reviews
473 Germany Tour Reviews - Summary 94% Recommend
Germany Tours and Travel Guide
Germany Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Germany is a land of contrasts, where walled Medieval towns coexist with high-speed Mercedes-filled autobahns, and where quaint Black Forest and Bavarian villages share the same soil as ultra-hip Berlin and pulsating cities like Munich and Hamburg.
Rhine River and Moselle cruises are ever-popular, and the long-defunct "East Germany" has been resurrected -- witness the total rebuilding of Dresden, firebombed during World War II and now a showplace. Heidelberg, Nuremberg, Cologne, Lubeck, Stuttgart, Leipzig -- the list of intriguing German cities is long, but the alluring countryside beckons as well.
History buffs will love visiting Germany. There are a multitude of museums for you to visit to learn about the area. In Berlin, pay your respects at the Holocaust Memorial, or explore the remains of the wall that used to separate East and West Germany. Many German cities such as Frankfurt and Munich offer walking tours, so make sure to join one to get a new view of the city. While in Munich, visit the Nymphenburg Palace to see where Ludwig was born.
Germany has its share of castles and medieval villages just waiting to be explored. Stop in Heidelberg to see a 12th century castle and Germany's oldest university. While you're there, take a slow stroll along the river and imagine what life used to be like. While in Munich, treat yourself to a day trip to see the famous Neuschwanstein Castle and soak up the beauty of the Bavarian Alps. You'll feel like you're in a fairy tale (Sleeping Beauty's castle was supposedly based off of it, after all)!
Beer and Bratwurst
When you think Germany, you may think beer, and for a good reason. It's best known for Oktoberfest, a 16-day beer festival which takes places in late September in Munich. Be sure to bring your lederhosen for the experience of a lifetime! After you've had your share of beer, head south to Bavaria to try some mouthwatering sausage. The west side of the country has their share of tasty treats as well. Explore the markets in Cologne to get some German sweets.
Germany is such a big country, so you have a huge selection to choose from when planning your trip. Head to Cologne to see Cologne's Dom, a giant Gothic cathedral that took over 600 years to build. If nature is more up your alley, venture into the Black Forest to learn about its history and its past with cuckoo clocks. For impressive architecture, the gothic town of Rothenburg will amaze you with its cobblestone lanes and 16th century houses. Germany is sure to have something to please everyone!
All Germany tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all Germany trips.