Indonesia - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Enjoy beach side relaxation, sunrise views from the summit of a volcano to riding elephants in the jungle
- Immerse in local cuisine and dive into the turquoise waters on this action packet trip through the islands of Indonesia
- Explore bustling jakarta and yogyakarta
- Learn the art of batik making
- Enjoy a balinese cooking class with a local chef
- Meet with a vulcanology expert at mt bromo
- Delve into the spiritual side by visiting ancient hindu and buddhist temples
- Watch the ever changing scenery as you ascend and descend Mount Rinjani
- Experience the sunrise on Mount Rinjani taking in the spectacular view of Segara Anak Lake and the island of Lombok stretching far below
- Relax in the natural hot springs around Segara Anak Lake
- Swim, snorkel and relax after your trek on beautiful Gili Island
- Escape the tourist hordes and cycle through the island's heart, from the green hills of Ubud to the laidback beach towns of Lovina and Sanur.
- Cycling’s not the only activity on offer. Take the chance to hike up Mt Batur, visit hidden caves, soak in hot springs, and enjoy some watersports on the coast
- As well as beautiful temples, visit less-known villages such as Trunyan, whose astounding burial tradition makes use of a mysterious ‘magic tree’
- Feast on the most authentic Balinese cuisine, prepared lovingly by unsung kitchen masters such as Lovina’s Bu Wayan
- Relax and unwind on the unique black sand beaches of Lovina, the perfect place to rest your bones after a few days on the bike
- Overnight boat ride to Rinca Island to find Komodo Dragons
- Visit traditional villages in Toraja
- Visit Waingapu market
- Participate in purification ceremony at Tirta Empul
- Visiting Ikat weaving centers
- Exploring Uluwatu
- Experience sunrise on Kelimutui
- Visit the temple of Tian Hou Gong
- Visit a selection of remote and seldom visited islands – not only rinca and satonda islands, but little gems such as banta island, whose beaches are usually totally deserted
- Make the most of magnificent snorkelling opportunities, keeping your eyes peeled for tropical fish and indonesia’s famous sea turtles
- Escape the tourists of komodo island by visiting rinca island, where komodo dragon-spotting is a much more natural experience
- Unwind with a dip in satonda island’s incredible crater lake – just one of many superb natural wonders to be found in this rambling archipelago
- As well as visiting senggigi beach, witness the age-old traditional of indonesian sarong weaving and take a hike to see rural life unfold along the rice fields
- Explore Sumatra’s natural beauty
- Experience the incredible orangutans of Bukit Lawang
- Discover amazing wildlife
- Journey to beautiful Lake Toba
- Reach the summit of Sibayak volcano
- Learn some rainforest survival skills from your local guides: path-finding, setting up camp, fishing, foraging for food and medicine and cooking
- Witness traditional Batak dancing in Simanindo
- Trek through pristine rainforest
- Relish in the romance and relaxation of Bali
- Stay in unique and luxurious accommodations
- Experiences you only thought possible in your dreams
- Look for komodo dragons in the wild
- Meet the friendly people of ngada village
- Explore hindu temples
- Visit the tobacco plantations of tetebatu
- Savour balinese cuisine at a g for good project
- Snorkel vibrant reefs and dig your feet into white sand
- The orang utan rehabilitation center in Gunung Leuser National Park, Sumatra;
- Visit hill town Berastagi for the unspoiled hill tribe culture;
- Two volcanoes in Sumatra: Sinabung and Sibayak;
- Breathtakingly beautiful Lake Toba;
- The culture center of Java - Yogyakarta and Borobudur;
- Visit factory of batik textiles - traditional textile in Southeast Asia;
- Conclude your journey in the fabulous vacation destination - Bali.
- Explore traditional villages
- Take road-trip around northern Bali
- See the famous rice terraces
- Visit a local flower and fruit market
- Unforgettable nine day journey through Indonesia
- Custom adventure offers the ideal blend of exploration, culture and relaxation
- Visit Wat Trimitr & Wat Po Buddhist Temples (Bangkok)
- Join an optional excursion to the colorful Damnoen Saduak floating market
- See exotic orchids and rare flowers in Singapore's Botanical Gardens
- Visit the Elephant Cave (Bali)
- Enjoy the spectacular city view from Victoria Peak (Hong Kong)
- Visit Aberdeen Floating Fishing Village (Hong Kong)
- Explore Bali
- Visit Tanah Lot sea temple
- Enjoy a traditional Ramayana Ballet Performance
- Borobudur at Sunrise
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Indonesia Experiences
Trekking through the jungles of Borneo to watch wild orangutans during a Tanjung Putting National Park river cruise.
Riding a motorbike through the glittering rice fields of Bali’s rural villages.
Rising just before the sun to climb to the top of Borobodur- the largest Buddhist temple in the world- and watch the sunrise over the rice fields and volcanic peaks of Central Java.
Watching traditional Javanese dancers perform the evening Ramayana Ballet against the dramatic backdrop of Prambanan, a 9th century Hindu temple.
Healing your mind, body, and spirit in the holy waters of Tirta Empul Temple.
Snorkeling around the reefs of Menjangan Island, swimming through many different schools of fish.
Listening to the eerie and mesmerizing sounds of the gamelan orchestra echo through the temple as gilded dancers perform.
Touring Yogyakarta in a becak (Indonesian pedicab) to see the lively street action up close and personal.
Bargaining in the markets for the best price on artists’ handmade wood carvings, colorful batiks, and silver jewelry.
Relaxing on one of Bali’s many pristine beaches with a long massage.
Indonesia Trip Reviews
142 Indonesia Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Indonesia Tours and Travel Guide
Indonesia Attractions & Landmarks Guide
With over 17,000 islands and 300 ethnic groups that make up this archipelago, the options for adventure travel in Indonesia are limitless. Each island reveals a vastly different backdrop, from smoldering volcanoes to hidden jungles overgrown with exotic plant and animal species. The cultural diversity is just as breathtaking, whether you are exploring ancient Buddhist temples in Java or watching, mesmerized, by the carefully quivering fingers and exaggerated gestures of traditional Balinese dances.
Go Wild in Borneo
In Indonesian Borneo, adventure abounds. Take a river boat into Tanjung Puting National Park, and appreciate the natural beauty as civilization gives way to heavy mangrove forests. Further in, the river narrows, and the jungle grows dense. The sounds of exotic wildlife are all around- proboscis monkeys screeching, the rustle of kingfishers shooting past, and air bubbles popping at the water’s surface from fish below- or crocodiles! The real highlight is seeing wild orangutans up close and personal. There are treks for all levels with private guides that know the jungle like the back of their hand. Back on your private boat at night, lay under the brilliant starry sky, and listen to sounds of the jungle as they lull you to sleep. You can also stay overnight in a traditional village to experience an entirely different way of life in this wild environment.
Surrender to the Beauty of Bali
Incredible natural beauty is just the beginning of what this small island offers. It really has it all: volcano and jungle treks, world class diving and surfing sites, natural spas, and enticing restaurants. As the only predominantly Hindu island, the atmosphere is unique. Stunning temples dot the landscape and there are flower and incense offerings everywhere you look-from the rice fields to the city streets. Groups of local women dressed in their regal traditional lace shirts and sarongs, balance towers of offerings atop their head, as they make their way to the temple. Witnessing such beauty and devotion all around you will inspire relaxation and spiritual rejuvenation. In Ubud, the island’s spiritual and cultural center, you can find many classes teaching traditional Balinese dance, cooking, and crafts, as well as meditation, yoga, or reiki, and much more.
Explore History in Java
Java has a rich history that is evident in the old temples and palaces found there. Borobodur, an 8th century Buddhist temple in Central Java, transports the visitor through three tiers, representing different levels of enlightenment. Making your way upwards through the dark, reaching the top, silhouettes of Buddha statues and hundreds of bell shaped stupas reveal themselves. As the sun rises over the horizon, the entire countryside of rice terraces and jagged volcanic peaks are illuminated. In the nearby city of Yogyakarta, the royal palace exemplifies the splendor of Javanese architecture. Make your way to East Java to experience legendary Mt. Bromo and the turquoise Ijen Craters.
Experience Traditional Performing and Visual Arts
Traditional dance performances are not to be missed. The temple is quiet as the first notes of the gamelan orchestra strike. Adorned in elaborately gilded costumes, each dancer moves carefully to the music, picking up speed and passion as the music grows more frantic. Dramatically lined eyes dart quickly and fingers tremble gracefully. Seeing artists at work is just as alluring- intricate wood carvings, painted masks, batiks fabrics, and silver jewelry are crafted with expertise passed down through generations.
All Indonesia tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Indonesia trips.