Kayaking & Canoeing - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Enjoy fun activities for the entire family
- Be enthralled by the Nazca Lines and a wildlife experience in a jungle reserve
- Raft the Urubamba River and enjoy camping under the stars
- Discover the amazing ruins of Machu Picchu and the village of Ollantaytambo
- Explore the incredible city of Cusco with its fascinating cultural heritage
- Experience Ballestas Islands, known as the “Peru Galapagos”
- Set foot on antarctica — the world's least-visited continent
- Watch majestic albatross soar by the ship while crossing the drake passage
- Opt to brave the chill of a polar plunge
- Witness immense icebergs and magnificent glaciers
- Have your questions answered by antarctica experts
- Get into the hidden heart of rural Costa Rica, heading out a 4-day hike through some of the most world’s most spectacular wilderness
- Look out for toucans, quetzals, alligators, crocodiles, monkeys, iguanas, turtles, sloths and more as you explore national parks and wildlife reserves
- Swim in hidden waterfalls and experience rural Costa Rican life and culture
- Costa Rica offers some of the world’s best white water rafting – get your taste when you tackle the Rio Naranjo rapids
- Don’t just look at waterfalls, jump down them – safely strapped in of course! Spend a day rappelling down jungle cascades
- When National Geographic call a place “biologically intense”, you know it’s special. Discover the secrets and abundant wildlife of the primary rainforest of Corcovado National Park
- Explore La Paz based kayaking trips feature your choice of a 7 or 8 day itinerary
- Enjoy the natural beauty, enchanting wildlife, and warm waters a world-class sea kayaking destination.
- Explore the scenic cliffs and coves of Isla Espiritu Santo
- La Paz offers some unusual highlights, such as swimming with playful sea lion pups and the chance to see Whale Sharks (harmless plankton eaters, and the largest fish on the planet!).
- Espiritu Santo is stunningly beautiful, with deep coves of turquoise water surrounded by white sand beaches and burnt sienna colored volcanic cliffs.
- Additionally, because La Paz is only a couple hours from Los Cabos
- Drop 2000 vertical feet on Guatemala's best Singletrack
- Swim in our secret swim hole or dive from the cliffs
- admire the wonders of Atitlan from Gringotenango, a top panoramic cliffside trail
- Experience the culture, history and colours of Hanoi's Old Quarter
- Kayak the emerald waters of spectacular Ha Long Bay
- Enjoy an authentic family homestay experience in an ethnic minority village
- Hike the jungle trails of Cuc Phuong National Park
- Cruise the limestone landscapes of the Red River Delta’s Ninh Binh
- Cycle through villages at Mai Chau and Ninh Binh
- Visit Yangon, Shwedagon Pagoda
- Visit the Baisha Murals at Baisha Village
- Visit the ancient ruins of Indein
- Explore the pristine surroundings of Inle Lake with a kayak to soak in the sound of nature
- Enjoy Ayeyarwaddy Day Cruise
Hells Canyon Rafting, Snake River Idaho
Hells Canyon Rafting on the Snake River in Idaho straddles the borders of Idaho and Oregon and is the deepest river gorge in North America. According to Nez Perce tribal legend the mythical figure "coyote" dug Hells Canyon with a big stick to protect the tribe's ancestors in the Blue Mountains of Oregon from the "Seven Devils" across the gorge in Idaho.
- Start off with scenic bike ride through Kaiping, revealing the hidden history and clan culture of its many abandoned diaolou (fortified tower houses).
- Spend time hiking the rice terrace-carved landscape of Longji and visiting communities that call this pocket of China home.
- Cycle amongst the dramatic karst-dotted countryside of Yangshuo that has been immortalised in countless traditional Chinese paintings.
- Gain an insight into an important element of Chinese culture with a visit to a local tea farm in Yangshuo. Learn a few things about tea picking and perhaps sample a cuppa.
- Discover the coast of Hong Kong by kayak. Paddle through giant stone arches and to uninhabited islands and beaches for some sun and surf time.
- Explore Southeast Alaska with the original kayaking pioneers on this one-of-a-kind adventure through Glacier Bay National Park
- Paddle among icebergs and marvel at whales and glaciers up close—a rarity given that MTS is one of only two companies to have permits to kayak Glacier Bay
- Visit Point Adolphus, a world-renowned humpback whale feeding ground, where you’ll also see sea lions, porpoises, and bald eagles
- Camp for four nights on isolated, pristine beaches and enjoy delicious meals prepared by your local, expert guides
- See enchanting valleys and rivers, wild forests and mountains rocks
- Get personal experience inside the caves
- Get incredible experience surrounded by the white and cold ice.
- Awesome rafting adventure on the shores of Lake Bertrand
- Discover Boise
- Experience the beautiful White water permits for the Bruneau are strictly controlled and ROW operates just three rafting trips per year on this isolated river.
- See the wildflowers, birds, reptiles, beaver, otter, coyote, antelope and big horn sheep are common on the Bruneau.
- For the nature lover and river connoisseur, whitewater rafting on the Bruneau River is a dream come true. In May the desert is in full bloom and dozens of plants are flowering, making the canyon a rainbow of color.
- Three days of kayaking on the Ionian Sea
- Visits to the classical site of Butrint, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Easy to intermediate hiking through stunningly beautiful countryside
- Full immersion in the local culture and customs.
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Kayaking & Canoeing Experiences
Seeing seals up close in New Zealand
Braving rough ocean waters in Tasmania
Canoeing in the Everglades of Florida and feeling like one of the first explorers
The incredible experience of rowing among wild Orca’s in Canada
Kayaking & Canoeing Trip Reviews
397 Kayaking & Canoeing Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Kayaking & Canoeing Tours and Travel Guide
Kayaking & Canoeing Attractions & Landmarks Guide
From sea kayaking where you can see orca's and otters, to long distance canoe trips across tranquil lakes and creeks, these small craft water trips can be exciting and peaceful at the same time.
Kayaking and Canoeing - What’s the difference?
While similar, these activities are nevertheless distinct in a few ways.
Kayaks are typically smaller, and usually involve one person per vessel. A lot of times your lower half is covered over, protecting from water splashing into the kayak. This is especially useful because unlike most canoes, in a kayak you are not in an upright sitting position, above the boat floor, but rather with your legs stretched out on the bottom of the kayak.
Canoes on the other hand are longer, and may involve two or more people to a vessel. They are also open and can be a bit more cumbersome to manipulate.
Kayaks are much more suited to rougher waters, and are often used in the ocean. Canoes are more often used for calmer waters such as lakes or rivers.
Neither requires tremendous skill, but be prepared to use a lot of upper body strength! And if you are going sea kayaking, know that the ocean can tend to have a mind of its own. Rough waters can make the experience an exhilarating one, but always pay attention to where your group is and listen for instructions from your guide. Occasionally there will be a need to avoid rip tides or unexpected weather causing larger waves.
Up Close and Personal
A kayaking and canoeing trip gives you a unique perspective! When you’re on top of, but still so close to the water, you get a much different sense of place and distance. And plus a great view looking back at the shore! It’s also an excellent opportunity for getting up close and personal with local wildlife, including curious sea creatures like dolphins, seals, and even the magnificent black and white Orca.
All Kayaking & Canoeing tours, cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Kayaking & Canoeing trips.