Mt. Kilimanjaro - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Volunteering with local children at a village primary school
- Meeting local families and learning about Tanzanian society firsthand
- Seeing zebras, elephants, lions, rhinos and more on an African safari
- Hiking to a waterfall on the side of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Seeing firsthand the nomadic lifestyle of the Masai
- Learning African dance, percussion, bead making and even how to throw a spear
- Summit Africa's highest peak on an 8 Day Kilimanjaro Trek following the highly successful Machame Route
- Kilimanjaro Trek
- Shop for local wares and interact with townsfolk at the Mwigobero Market on the edge of Lake Victoria
- Explore the Serengeti National Park in depth, with two early-morning and two late-afternoon game drives through this spectacular wildlife arena
- Learn about the Great Rift Valley where the annual migration of some two million wildebeest plays out
- Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4X4 for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros
- Hike with a group of experienced guides and porters with 1 guide for every 2 passengers
- Spy hiding monkeys and colourful bird species flitting through the rainforest
- Spend a night camped out on the Shira plateau
- Marvel at the Hiem, Kersten and Rebmann glaciers
- Catch a dazzling sunrise on your way to summit Africa's highest mountain peak
- We are an official partner of IMEC’s Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP). This means all of our climbs have been assessed and scored based on a number of criteria, all of which are designed to ensure the proper treatment of porters on the Mountain. Read more here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/theme/walking/kilimanjaro-trek
- Visit to Tanzania National Park
- Enjoy your Hike and pass the Maundi Crater and climb up to its rim for a spectacular view of the Kibo Crater
- Enjoy driving from Moshi to the Serengeti National Park crossing the Masaai Steppe
- See the Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Cross Kilimanjaro rain forest
- Sleeping in the hut
- Crossing Marangu village
- Crossing five Kilimanjaro zones
- Climb Kilimanjaro with the summiting experts—we have a 98% summiting rate, the highest on the mountain
- Take our exclusive trek along the little-used Great Barranco Valley/Western Breach, the most scenic route on the mountain, made famous by the IMAX film Kilimanjaro
- Get an extra full day to acclimatize at the mountain’s highest-elevation camp at Arrow Glacier
- Visit Nairobi’s fascinating attractions like National Museum and Karen Blixen Museum
- Experience Masai village culture
- Enjoy the safari in Samburu National Reserve
- Visit Amboseli National Park, Renowned for its excellent Masaai giraffe, lion and cheetah viewing.
- Explore Nairobi
- Visits to Amboseli National Park and Tarangire National Park
- Experience Ngorongoro Crater, continue to the lush Ngorongoro Crater, home to 30,000 wild animals in a spectacular setting.
- Enjoy your safari at Serengeti National Park, well known for the millions of wildebeest and zebra who migrate across the plains.
- Enjoy a game drive through Lake Manyara National Park
- Visit local markets and a Masai Village for an interactive cultural experience
- Explore the Serengeti National park
- Experience the incredible views of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Visit Tarangire and Manyara National Parks, Manyara Ranch is home to a bountiful wildlife corridor
- Explore Ngorongoro Crater
- Discover Tanzania
- You'll visit Mt Kilimanjaro and massive Tarangire NP
- See the beautiful Ngorongoro & Serengeti NP
- Explore Arusha
- Explore Tanzania's famous reserves, Lake Manyara National Park
- Enjoy the wonderful view of the Kenyan interior.
- The chance to catch a glimpse of some primates as you head to the Mandara Hut.
- Fantastic views overlooking Mawenzi, Kibo and the wide plain of the Masai steppe.
- Explore Arusha
- Drive to Serengeti National Park
- Visit Ngorongoro Crater, one of Africa’s finest game haunts that plays host to almost every individual wildlife species in East Africa
- Visit a local Maasai village, where you get to learn about the tribe’s traditional, nomadic lifestyle and their coexistence with wildlife
- Enjoy a game drive in the park before continuing to the Ngorongoro Highlands and your lodge
- Experience walking safari is likely to take a few hours as you venture
- Enjoy trekking, as you climb steadily and pass through magnificent, dense rainforest see breath takking views.
- See Mt Meru rising high above Arusha town in the distance
- Enjoy viewing the jagged Mawenzi peak and beyond which are breathtaking
- Visit Rebmann and Ratzel glaciers
- Explore this crowd-free big game reserve on guided game drives and nature walks
- Enjoy a thrilling night game drive after sundowners on scenic Sunset Hill.
- See herds of elephant and buffalo, zebra, wildebeest, giraffe
- Visiting Lake Manyara National Park
- Enjoy horse riding
- Enjoy a walking tour of The Manor’s estate or a spa treatment.
- Enjoy an optional tour of the Bean-to-Cup Coffee Estate
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Mt. Kilimanjaro Experiences
Summiting the tallest point Africa is a never-to-be-forgotten thrill. Uhuru, the highest peak, is more than 19,000 feet above sea level.
Climbing one of seven Mount Kilimanjaro routes for the amazing views of the Tanzania plains below.
Surveying Furtwangler Glacier atop the mountain (before it recedes even further).
Catching glimpses of unique wildlife -- a true taste of Africa -- through five distinct eco-zones: rainforest, heath, moorland, alpine desert and glacier.
Witnessing never-to-be-forgotten sunrises and sunsets from an extinct volcano.
Taking advantage of the rare opportunity to see snow by the Equator.
Mt. Kilimanjaro Trip Reviews
258 Mt. Kilimanjaro Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Mt. Kilimanjaro Tours and Travel Guide
Mt. Kilimanjaro Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Tanzania’s Mount Kilimanjaro holds an almost mythical fascination for the adventurous traveler. This snowcapped peak near the Equator is the highest freestanding mountain in the world – yet can be summited without using technical climbing gear.
Towering over the vast African savannah below, it still presents challenges even for the very fit – including choosing the right guided trip to the top. Stride can act as your Mount Kilimanjaro trip planner, helping you reach the heights of adventure alive without the pitfalls, all based on your own comfort level.
Many Americans first heard about Mount Kilimanjaro through Ernest Hemingway’s famous short story, “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” published in Esquire magazine in 1936. A 1952 film starring Gregory Peck, Susan Hayward and Ava Gardner further popularized the mountain by bringing The Snows of Kilimanjaro to the silver screen.
While Hemingway’s fearless spirit took him to Africa on his own, planning a Mount Kilimanjaro trek can be intimidating – there are a number of routes to choose from, for starters, each offering differing levels of difficulty and other advantages and disadvantages. Sorting these out is essential: while ascending to the peak is not as strenuous as some other mountains of its size, this is still a long trek even for those with extra lung capacity.
Fortunately, you can choose among a wide variety of trusted tour operators, who can provide you with a selection of itineraries, group sizes, and accommodation options, allowing you to keep the adventure alive without the worries. Tanzania mandates that a native guide escort travelers; your Tanzania tour operator will always take care of this requirement. Pick a “Stride Preferred” trip to ensure you get the best guides -- knowledgeable and friendly escorts who go along on the adventure.
Most guided tours of Mount Kilimanjaro take five to seven days to reach the summit, with stays in tents or mountain huts. The trails showcase a diverse landscape. Your trek begins as you leave the African savannah, then head into jungle, through cloud forest and into surprising hanging-moss forests before reaching a landscape reminiscent of high desert.
As you climb toward the peak, an even starker desert unfolds, and a glacier appears nearby. The latter is receding rapidly -- a third of the glacier has melted away in just the past quarter century -- so it’s advisable not to put off a Mount Kilimanjaro tour if you want to witness the striking natural wonder of ice near the Equator.
Add a Safari
But before you head off, let Stride act as your personal travel advisor, showcasing the Mount Kilimanjaro guided trips that will best meet your comfort levels. And while you’re here on the site, why not consider adding a Tanzania wildlife safari to your trip? The Serengeti plains, Ngorongoro Crater, and other wonderful wildlife parks aren’t far away.
While Hemingway was able to wring remarkable literature out of his Kilimanjaro experiences, you may well be rendered speechless as you trek. That’s OK. Take it all in. Ponder. Then ask your seasoned tour guides for suggestions on the best spots to nab those brag-worthy photos that will leave your friends envious. If they utter one word, it’s likely to be, “Wow!
Once you’ve booked your tour...
While Tanzania in general has a tropical climate, be sure to pack cold-weather gear for your Mount Kilimanjaro trek. You may be by the Equator, but it gets freezing up there!
All Mt. Kilimanjaro tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Mt. Kilimanjaro trips.