Nepal - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- CITY TOUR of Kathmandu and Patan
- VIEW the Hanuman Dhoka palace complex, Mahadev Temple, House of the Goddess Kumari, Taleju Temple in Kathmandu and the Krishna Temple and Golden Temple in Patan
- VISIT the shrine of Swayambhunath near Patan and a local market in Kathmandu
- Trek to Everest Base Camp, following in the footsteps of the great climbing parties
- Explore Namche Bazaar and soak up the Sherpa culture
- Walk amidst the world's highest mountain range, with incredible views of Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse and Ama Dablam
- Visit the hilltop monastery at Thyangboche
- Ascend Kala Pattar for close up views of Mt Everest
- Visit Swayambunath, the lotus stupa, at sunrise.
- Visit Mount Kailas
- Visit the wonderful Mountaineering Museum.
- See the village of Ghyakar appearing in the west as the path rounds a corner.
- Enjoy viewing Nilgiri, Tilicho Peak and Yakawa Kang, the peak that dominates the Thorong Pass on the Annapurna Circuit.
- Excellent taste of trekking in Nepal without long commitment required or an extensive packing list
- Diverse styles of accommodation and the ability to see all the different aspects of life in Nepal
- Exploring beautiful Kathmandu valley and visit Changu Narayan, oldest temple in Nepal
- See the many historic and holy sites of Nepal and discover the cultural roots of the Nepalese people
- Gain wonderful insight into what local life is like in the rural areas of Nepal outside of Kathmandu
- Short Break style means small group - you will be with others if others book on same date, otherwise may have trek to yourself
- Low altitude trek, great for first time trekker
- Discover Nepal as area is ethnically reach in term of ritual, people, housing, lifestyle along with most beautiful Mt. Manaslu
- Fascinating Manaslu Circuit Trek
- Experience Kathmandu valley sightseeing which will be fully accompanied by tour guide
- Awesome experience Trek from Sotikhola to Machhekhola
- Experience the essence of serenity with an overnight stay at a buddhist monastery
- Meet a graduate of the g adventures-supported paralegal program for women
- Search out rhino in chitwan national park
- Get a firsthand demonstration of traditional apron weaving
- Learn how to make nepalese momos (dumplings)
- Taj Mahal
- Delhi Sightseeing
- Elephant Ride to Amber Fort (Jaipur)
- Sunrise Boat Ride on the Ganges River
- Durbar Square (Kathmandu)
- An excellent introduction to Himalayan trekking
- Luxury Ker & Downey lodges with suberb mountain views
- Dugout canoe ride down Chitwan's Rapti River in search of crocodiles
- Chance to spot rhinoceros and birdlife on a jeep safari and bird-watching walks in Chitwan
- Kathmandu's historic sites, including Boudhanath Stupa, the largest on earth
- Pokhara, nestled on the shore of Lake Phewa in the shadow of the Annapurna Range
- Explore ancient cities of Kathmandu
- Enjoy the guided tour of Kathmandu, Bhaktapur Durbar squares
- Meet with Kumari, living goddess
- Discover the guided tour of Potala, former palace of Dalai Lamas - Lhasa, Gyantse, Shigatse,
- Visit Drepung- largest monastery of Tibet with 7700 monks.
- Go around Paro, Thimpu and Punakha in Bhutan
- Take uphill hiking experience to Taktshang, Tiger Nest
- Enjoy hike to Syangboche is the most popular day hike from Namche
- Explore Kathmandu
- Opportunity to explore UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Experience trekking towards the Everest Base Camp
- History, mystery, artistry preserved and exhibited by centuries old monuments in the Kathamndu Durbar Square
- The Annapurna Circuit in 2 weeks
- Sunset and sunrise from Manang over Gangapurna and the Annapurnas
- Cross the formidable Thorong La
- Dramatically changing scenery
- Visit the Drepung Monastery
- Explore the Sera Monastery which is located at the foot of Tatipu Hill
- Take an easy visit to Jokhang Temple in the center of the Old Lhasa city
- Explore the famous world heritage Potala Palace
- Enjoy the walk around the Barkhor Street
- Enjoy the Karola Glacier on the roadside
Exploring the marvelous views of many stunning mountains like Annapurna South (7219m\23684ft.), Annapurna III (7555m\24786ft.), Gangapurna (7454m\24457ft.) and Machhapuchhre (6993m\22942ft.).
- Different wild animals : leopards, musk deer, spotted deer, pikas etc. in beautiful pine and bamboo forest. Different cultures Mongolian of like: Gurung, Magar, Rai, Limbu, Tamang and their cultures.
- Beautiful landscape & stunning sunrise views of the Annapurna range and other beautiful Mountains.
- Trekking in Annapurna region is the best combination of natural and historical contents. While you do Pokhara tour you observe many beautiful lakes and amazing caves as well in Pokhara . Beautiful sunrise view from Ghorepani and Poonill is memorable part of the trek. You can stay overnight in Annapurna base camp.
- Visit the most famous Potala Palace
- Visit the main monastery in Gyantse - Pelkor Chode Monastery
- Visit Zutulpuk Monastery
- Enjoy the spectacular vista of Mt. Naimonanyi
- Enjoy the sunrise of Everest Peak
Get a scenic, adventure flight of Lukla for Trekking to the world’s best trekking trail in the Himalaya
- Walking to the Sagarmatha national park, Khumbu glaciers, Tengboche monastery. Experience the Sherpa lifestyle and their cultures.
- Enjoy panoramic views of stunning Mt. Everest and other Himalayan range such as Lhotse ( 8516m\27939ft.), Nuptse (7861m\25790ft.), Amadablam (6812m\22349 ft.). Thamserku (6622m\21729), Khangtega, Kongde Peak and many more.
- Visit around the local market of Namche Bazaar, the beautiful Tengboche monastery.
- Breathtaking views of Everest region, Khumbu Ice falls, Everest Base Camp.
- Budget able and friendly trip itinerary all-inclusive package with 3-time meals every day.
- The viewpoint of Kalapathar 5550 m several beautiful villages, waterfalls. Great chance to explore amazing Himalayas, floras, and faunas.
- Get an opportunity to pray on the oldest Tyanngboche Buddhism monasteries in Khumbu Mount (Everest Region)
- Experience the view of the world’s highest Mount Everest, world’s fourth highest Mountain Lhotse, fifth highest Mountain Makalu, and the 360-degree view of many other Himalaya range
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Nepal Experiences
- Strolling past the more than 50 temples and palaces that sprawl across Durbar Square in Kathmandu, and the smaller collections of religious architectural treasures in nearby Patan and Bhaktapur.
- Trekking for days around the Annapurna massif for breath-taking views of that awesome range.
- Clambering aboard an elephant for a rock-and-rolling ride through Royal Chitwan National Park to spot rhinos, wild boar, crocodiles, monkeys and other resident wildlife.
- Photographing scenery – towering mountains, deep green-clad valleys, glacial rivers, plummeting waterfalls – that rivals any on earth.
- Discovering tiny villages laid out along narrow cobblestone streets that could have been plucked from medieval Europe and transported to their present idyllic setting.
- Interacting with some of the most friendly people anywhere -- whose perpetual greeting, Namaste (na-ma-stay), which means “welcome,” says it all.
- Observing the extent to which religion is as much a part of life as eating and breathing to most Nepalese, who express their devotion throughout the day and into night at both immense places of worship and tiny family shrines.
Nepal Trip Reviews
937 Nepal Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Nepal Tours and Travel Guide
Nepal Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Just the mention of “Nepal” tends to conjure up images of mountain climbers laboriously, and dangerously, ascending towering snow-capped peaks -- and for good reason. After all, this Tennessee-sized country, tucked between India and Tibet, is home to eight of the 10 tallest mountains in the world, including fabled Mount Everest and the magnificent Annapurna Range.
But there’s much more to see and do in Nepal than climb mountains; it’s a country that can appeal to a diverse group of travelers. For starters, those who prefer more level challenges than scaling mountains, trekking in Nepal is as good as it gets anywhere (though trekking may well involve elevation gain, too).
Wildlife, Wild Rivers, Friendly People and More
Wildlife viewing can equal that in Africa. Rafting on remote class four and five rivers brings some of the most adrenaline-pumping whitewater on earth. And then there are the Nepalese people, a mélange of more than 100 ethnic groups with their own modes of dress, cultures, and dialects -- and who are among the friendliest in the world. Meeting at least some of them is a highlight of any Nepal trip.
Throw into the mix Nepal’s awe-inspiring collection of ancient temples, pagodas and monuments and you have something-for-everyone variety.
The Long and Short of Trekking
You don’t have to be in mountain-climbing shape to trek in Nepal. The choices range from short jaunts not much more difficult than walks you might take at home to weeks-long hikes over challenging terrain. One difference is that your walk through Nepal might lead through a rhododendron forest, past rice fields and overlook stunning landscapes in the shadow of soaring mountains.
Those so inclined may opt for a pony trek, which will be easier on your feet but perhaps not on a different body part.
Everest Base Camp
Mount Everest’s 29,029 foot height makes it not just the tallest but also the most famous peak in the world. Trekking to Everest Base Camp at 17,598 feet is by itself an icon of world travel.
Still, Everest has plenty of nearby competition. The magnificent Annapurna Range includes the 26,545-foot mountain for which it’s named and 13 other peaks that rise over 22,970 feet. The dramatic gorge that has been gouged out between Mount Annapurna and it 26,795-foot neighbor, Mount Dhaulagiri, is said to be the deepest canyon on Earth.
Temples and Pagodas
About 90 percent of the Nepalese people are Hindu and most of the rest are Buddhist, but over a span of 2,000 years the dividing line between those faiths has virtually disappeared. Many Nepalese worship the gods of both religions and hold sacred the shrines of the other – and what shrines they are!
What’s said to be the largest collection of temples, pagodas and religious monuments in the world dazzles visitors with their elaborate carvings and colorful adornments. While the greatest concentration of religious structures is in the squares of Kathmandu and its ancient sister cities of Patan and Bhaktapur, there are smaller shrines in virtually every town and village, and many more peppered about the countryside.
While Nepal may not rank among the best known safari destinations in the world, it has an almost full alphabet variety of animal life, from alligators to yellow bittern birds, and much in-between. Elephants, rare one-horned rhinoceroses, royal Bengal tigers, and elusive snow leopards are just a few of the animals that roam the forests.
More than 850 recorded species of birds share treetops with chattering monkeys. Many animals are concentrated in national parks that have been established for their protection. The opportunity to meet and mingle with residents of this natural zoo is reason in itself to sign up for a tour to Nepal.
Kathmandu offers a taste of much that Nepal has to offer in a fascinating if somewhat frenetic setting that can fill several busy days of sightseeing. The religious architecture in Durbar square, old neighborhoods of narrow cobblestone streets, and people praying and paying tribute to their god or gods virtually around the clock are echoed throughout the country.
Sound good? Let Stride help you get to Kathmandu and beyond -- all the way to Everest if you like, though the choice is yours.
All Nepal tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Nepal trips.