North America - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- City Tour in Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Banff
- Cruise across Maligne Lake to iconic Spirit Island
- Scenic Drive along the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Icefields Parkway
- View Lake Louise, Athabasca Glacier, Rogers Pass, Athabasca Falls, Sea-to-Sky Gondola, Butchart Gardens, a traditional kekuli built by the people of the First Nations
- Visit Chase, Banff National Park, Jasper National Park
- Entry to Grand Teton National Park
- Entry to Yosemite National Park
- Driving tour of San Francisco
- Entry to Yellowstone National Park
- Space Needle, Seattle
- Navajo Jeep tour, Monument Valley
- Entry to Grand Canyon National Park
- Entry to Arches National Park
- Chuckwagon Dinner Show, Jackson Hole
- Party bus, Las Vegas
- Ride aboard a historic Jammer, an open-air touring car, during your visit to Glacier National Park.
- Visit Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, one of the world’s oldest buffalo jumps.
- Drive the unforgettable Icefields Parkway.
- Bear witness to the incredible views of Glacier National Park as you drive along the Going-to-the-Sun Road.
- Explore Texas Hill Country is one of the best places in the country for scenic
- Visit the National Museum of the Pacific War
- Visit the town of Comfort, whose impressive limestone buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places
- Opportunities for cycling, hiking, and exploring the charming town of Fredericksburg
- Navigate the frozen waterfalls, ice caves and imposing ice formations of Maligne Canyon on a guided exploration of the deepest accessible canyon in Jasper National Park.
- Peace River is located in Northern Alberta and is a prime location for Aurora viewing. Little light pollution, flat landscape and generally clear winter skies allow for ideal Northern Lights viewing conditions.
- The world-renowned drive from Jasper to Banff on the Icefields Parkway is astonishing. Even better when you don’t have to do the driving.
- Join an included sleigh ride around stunning Lake Louise, a bucket-list Canadian experience in Banff National Park.
- Meet your canine crew in Canmore before setting out on an unforgettable dog sledding experience.
- Take a backcountry snowshoe hike in the mountains above Banff that includes a unique picnic of cookies and hot chocolate in the snow.
- Relax on the white sand beaches
- Sunset beach dinner
- Victoria: Dine at Canoe Brewpub for a Highlight Dinner on the waterfront.
- Banff: Choose from a selection of restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening.
- Spokane: Dine at Steam Plant Brewing Co. and Pub, nestled among the remaining catwalks, pipes and boilers of a historic Spokane building.
- Quincy: Visit a boutique winery in the picturesque Columbia Valley region for a hearty luncheon and wine tasting.
- Seattle: Head to the waterfront for a Celebration Dinner at Ivar's, aptly referred to as Seattle's King of the Waterfront, to toast your newfound friends.
- Dining Summary: 19 Breakfasts (B), 8 Lunches (L), 1 Lunch with wine (LW), 8 Dinners (D), and 6 Dinners with wine (DW).
- Vancouver: Join your Travel Director as they share all of the city highlights in this bustling west coast seaport.
- Icefields Parkway: Experience Athabasca Glacier, onboard a specially designed Ice Explorer, with an expert driver guide.
- Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump: Join a Blackfoot elder and hear fascinating stories about the Plains people.
- Glacier National Park: Board a traditional Red Jammer for a private tour with a park veteran and enjoy the stunning views.
- Seattle: Sightseeing uncovers all of the city's major sights.
- Vancouver: The Four Seasons Vancouver provides a sophisticated backdrop for your visit to Vancouver.
- Victoria: Stay just a short walk from the Inner Harbour and historic downtown Victoria at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Victoria.
- Chase: The Quaaout Lodge & Spa at Talking Rock Golf Resort in Chase is the unique, lakeside hotel of the Little Shuswap Indian Band, and strives to preserve First Nation heritage and culture.
- Jasper: Enjoy the view from your Balcony Room at the Sawridge Inn in Jasper National Park.
- Banff: Marvel at the exceptional views of the Canadian Rockies at the Rimrock Resort Hotel.
- Glacier National Park: Many Glacier Hotel is located in the park among awe-inspiring majesty.
- Lake McDonald: Stay in classic Swiss chalet style Lake McDonald Lodge, located inside Glacier National Park, on the shores of the largest lake in the park.
- Spokane: With soaring architecture and a rich history that dates back to 1914, it has earned the reputation as Spokane’s grandest hotel.
- Vancouver: See the totem poles in Stanley Park.
- Victoria: Visit the stunning floral displays at Butchart Gardens.
- Vancouver: The Capilano Suspension Bridgecrosses the Capilano River, providing an appreciation of nature from three breathtaking perspectives.
- Jasper: Embark on a narrated cruise across the serene waters of iconic Maligne Lake.
- Explore North Idaho is a land of lakes, forests, mountains and spectacular scenery.
- Most of the bike touring we do on this trip is on level trails. This is the beauty of bike trails that have been made from converted railroads!
- We start with a ride along the scenic Spokane River in eastern Washington, in a gorge of pines and dramatic basalt geology.
- Experience another day of biking along the Coeur d’Alene River provides chances for wildlife viewing and peaceful breaths of fresh mountain air.
- The 15-mile bike path follows the route of the old Milwaukee Railroad, one of the most daring railroads ever built in America.
- Be one of the few to experience postcard views atop the Westernbrook Gorge
- Feel dwarfed by the fjords on a boat ride in Western Brook Pond
- Be led through truly remote backcountry on an unmarked route
- Keep your eyes open for caribou, moose, and other wildlife
- Visit Port McNeill
- Experience the Broughton Archipelago Marine Provincial Park
- Enjoy first Nations culture as you slowly paddle through this pristine wilderness and go hiking through ancient island rainforests
- Explore Cuba
- Enjoy panoramic tour of Havana’s major sites and plazas
- Visit a cigar factory to learn about one of Cuba’s most recognized industries
- Visit Che Memorial
- Kayak with orcas in the BEST place in the world to observe killer whales
- See killer whales as they feed on salmon
- Spend a full 6 days in whale territory
- Pass playful dolphins and curious porpoises
- The Salmon River Canyons is a trip with “pool and drop” characteristics
- Plenty of rapids, sun and dramatic scenery await you on an adventure-packed day of family white water rafting
- Visit a Native American rock art site, left by the original inhabitants of this rugged land
- We'll see the confluence of the Salmon and Snake Rivers
- We'll see the original Nez Perce trail descending down the canyon to a ford used for centuries by the Nez Perce as they travelled east from the Wallowa Mountains
- Visit our own River Dance Lodge, a beautiful log cabin adventure resort just two hours east.
- Horseback riding, hiking, fishing and biking are a few of the available activities
- Visit Loreto
- Enjoy whale watching session
- Enjoy Kayaking in the Sea of Cortez
- Experience one of New England’s most beloved seacoast vacation destinations on our Cape Cod bike trip
- Ride the Province Lands Bike Paths and visit the Old Harbor Lifesaving Museum
- Cycle the beautiful Cape Cod Rail Trail to Eastham
- Explore Provincetown’s galleries and shops
- Enjoy a beautiful walk along the picturesque salt marsh
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top North America Experiences
Standing on the rim of Arizona’s Grand Canyon, gaping at the magnitude of it all. Mounting a mule to ride to the canyon floor, and hiking through.
Exploring the vibrant city of Toronto in Canada
Experiencing the hustle and bustle of New York City, seeing a Broadway show, walking through historic neighborhoods, and visiting Ellis Island
Viewing the Mayan pyramids in Chichen Itza and Tulum on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.
Marveling at the thundering Niagara Falls and feeling the intense spray as you take a ferry around the magnificent site.
Taking an epic train journey through the landscapes of Alaska.
Touring Northern California’s coastal redwoods (the tallest trees on earth) and central California’s sequoias (the most massive living things).
Waiting faithfully for Old Faithful, the most famous geyser in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, to erupt (it always does).
Practicing French while sipping wine at a café in Old Quebec, Canada.
Cruising the Mississippi River on an old fashioned riverboat down to New Orleans, then feasting on crawfish and oysters.
North America Trip Reviews
2,002 North America Tour Reviews - Summary 95% Recommend
North America Tours and Travel Guide
North America Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Of the 50 most visited man-made and natural tourist attractions in the world, more than half are in the United States. A number of them are theme parks, but others range from urban parks (San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, New York’s Central Park) to natural wonders (Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Niagara Falls) and areas for urban exploration (Seattle’s Pike Place Market, Boston’s Faneuil Hall, New York’s Times Square and South Street Seaport, Chicago’s Navy Pier, Washington D.C.’s Smithsonian Museums, and, of course, the Las Vegas Strip). All are worthy of tour stops, but North America has much more to offer than the usual tourist attractions, and tours that help you get off the beaten path can be the most memorable of all.
In the United States alone, you can visit the deserts of California’s Death Valley – one of the hottest places on earth – or walk on glaciers in Alaska. You can ride airboats through the Florida Everglades or on historic windjammer sailing vessels off the Maine coast. The Rocky Mountains rise high in Colorado and give way to the pancake-flat Great Plains to their east.
The Great Lakes provide recreation for the Upper Midwest while the Gulf of Mexico offers waterborne fun to the Deep South. Utah’s Bryce and Zion national parks, South Dakota’s Badlands, and California’s Yosemite all feature geologic formations that range from the strange to the magnificent -- and are always remarkable to view.
Canada’s Rockies equal those of the U.S. – you can try heli-hiking or heli-skiing in remote areas of British Columbia, where only helicopters can reach the mountain lodges – while the far eastern Canadian Maritime provinces combine brisk sea air with fresh seafood, and French-speaking Quebec serves up Montreal, Quebec City and other delights. And, for good measure, Toronto is considered the world’s most ethnically diverse city.
Mexico shelters unforgettable archaeological sites such as the Mayan ruins at Tulum and Chichen Itza in the Yucatan Peninsula; fascinating indigenous cultures in Oaxaca and Chiapas; and fishing villages and beach towns along both its Pacific and Caribbean coasts. South and east of Mexico, the countries of Central America are fast developing their tourism infrastructures, so now is the time to see Belize, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador. Costa Rica already enjoys a thriving tourist industry, and Panama – divided physically yet united in spirit by its famous canal – is an often overlooked gem.
We can’t even begin to name all that’s out there, so to find the North American guided tour that’s right for you, turn to Stride’s handy comparison tools – and get on or off the beaten track...it’s your choice.
|United States of America, Canada, Mexico|
|Grand Canyon, Denali, Arches National Park, Niagara Falls, Banff National Park, Chichen Itza, Teotihuacan, Yosemite, and Many More|
|Nature Viewing, Hiking and Exploring Ruins & Archaeology|
All North America tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all North America trips.