Overland Journeys - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Maasai village walk
- Visit Chobe National Park
- Kalahari Bushman walk
- Visit Zanzibar
- Visit Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater
- Visit Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Visit the Great Rift Valley
- Visit Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Mountain gorilla trek (part of Gorilla permit payment)
- Chimpanzee trek (part of Gorilla permit payment)
- See Sossusvlei and Dune 45
- See the Spitzkoppe Bushman paintings
- Visit Etosha National Park
- Okavango Delta mokoro/walking safari
- Fish eagle boat cruise
- Visit Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park (Victoria Falls)
- Lake Nakuru National Park
- Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Mosi Oa Tunya National Park (Victoria Falls)
- Okavango Delta excursion
- Maasai Mara National Reserve
- Etosha National Park
- Kalahari Bushman walk
- Sossusvlei & Dune 45
- Spitzkoppe Bushman paintings
- Mountain gorilla trekking (part of gorilla permit payment)
- Chimpanzee trekking (part of gorilla permit payment)
- Chobe National Park
- Enjoy Bedouin hospitality in the dramatic desert landscape of Wadi Rum
- Visit the magical hidden city of Petra
- Explore Kerak crusader castle, and the ancient Byzantine mosaics of Mt Nebo and Madaba
- Take a dip in the Dead Sea
- Tour the sights of the capital Amman
- Discover the historical ruins of Jerash and Ajlun
- Get off the beaten track as you discover the raw desert landscapes and stunning coastline of Western Australia and the Kimberley in this ultimate overland adventure
- It may be a cliche, but life is all about the journey. Explore the major highlights between Perth and Darwin at a slower pace, allowing you to really get under the skin of a place
- Enjoy the flexibility of a private vehicle, the local knowledge of a passionate guide and the magic of camping under the great southern sky, Australian-style
- The cattle stations, red earth and mining communities of the Pilbara are reminiscent of the sun-baked Australia much of the world imagines
- Hike and swim in the ancient gorges and waterholes of Karijini National Park
- Explore Cusco, a place that is a melting pot of indigenous, Spanish and contemporary influences, creating cultural, architectural and culinary environments unlike anywhere else in the world.
- Travel across Peruvian and Bolivian landscapes, visiting pre-Hispanic ruins, tiny villages, and the amazing Lake Titicaca along the way.
- Truly get to know La Paz, Bolivia before continuing to the out-of-this-world Uyuni Salt Flats, where you’ll observe brilliantly colored lakes, geysers, stone formations, and more.
- Visit the majestic and iconic Machu Picchu
- African Skimmer
- Slaty Egret
- Wattled and Blue Cranes
- Rock Pratincole
- Ludwig’s and Kori Bustards
- Rüppell’s and Northern Black Korhaans
- Pel’s Fishing Owl (one of ten possible owls!)
- Hartlaub’s and Red-billed Spurfowls
- Rüppell’s Parrot
- Damara Red-billed and Bradfield’s Hornbills
- Violet Wood Hoopoe
- Southern Pied and Black-faced Babblers
- Rosy-faced Lovebird
- White-tailed Shrike
- Herero Chat
- chances for Shelley’s and Copper Sunbird
- Gray’s and Benguela Long-billed Larks
- Chestnut-banded Plover
- Damara Tern
- Bank and Crowned Cormorants
- Burchell’s and Double-banded Coursers
- African Oystercatcher
- Bradfield’s Swift
- Rufous-eared Warbler
- South African Shelduck
- Orange River White-eye
- Dusky Sunbird
- Cape Vulture
- thousands of both Lesser and Greater Flamingos
- Track the "big five" on wildlife safari drives in the serengeti national park
- Meet mountain gorillas
- Raft the white nile river
- Discover zanzibar's crystal-clear waters
- Experience the hustle-and-bustle of stone town
- Explore Chobe National Park, Botswana
- See the Elephant Sands, Nata, Botswana
- Visit the fascinating Etosha National Park, Namibia
- See the Fish River Canyon, Namibia
- Visit Namib Naukluft Park, Namibia
- Explore Okavango Delta, Botswana
- Discover Spitzkoppe, Namibia
- Discover Swakopmund, Namibia
- Explore to fabulous Township Tour Cape Town, South Africa
- Watch the Victoria Falls National Park
- Discover Windhoek, Namibia
- Explore Torres del Paine
- While exploring Torres del Paine enjoy activities Mirador Condor Hike, Mirador Cuernos Hike, Cave Paintings of Laguna Amarga, Lake Grey Kayaking, Grey Glacier Beach & Peninsula hike
- Visit to Puerto Bories Historical Museum
- Camp under a blanket of stars in the Ethiopian countryside
- See the towering obelisks of Aksum
- Get up to speed on modern Ethiopia in Addis Ababa
- Cross the epic Blue Nile Gorge
- See the monolithic churches of Lalibela
- Hike through Ethiopia's Simien Mountains National Park
- Discover Gonder's ornate castles and palaces
- Embark on an epic overland adventure through the heart of the Atacama Desert
- Traverse into the Altiplano plateau as your expedition takes you in regions experienced and known by few
- Experience sail through the Drake Passage en route to King George Island
- Opportunity to sail South Shetland Islands , while enjoying the company of sea birds
- Explore King George Island
- See the incredible Uyuni Salt Flats
- Explore Dali Desert
- Visit Laguna Colorada, Siloli Desert, Lagunas Honda and Ramaditas
- Pleasant Lodging in the best hotels around the salt flats
- Sunset game cruise down the Chobe River in Chobe National Park
- Day trip to the Okavango Delta with walking safaris and a mokoro ride included
- Full day trip to Etosha National Park with a game drive in the Tucan Travel truck
- Visit to the Cheetah Sanctuary
- Stop in the town of Solitaire and the Tropic of Capricorn
- Sesriem Canyon
- Sossusvlei & Dead Vlei
- Fish River Canyon
- Wine Tasting
- Get back to basics with this classic nine day overland adventure. Camp in permanent campsites with furnishings including proper beds, cooling fans and electricity.
- Get up early and see the sun rise over Uluru
- Fly from Alice Springs to Darwin instead of 24 hours on a bus
- See the highlights and national parks of Australia's Northern Territory in rugged, authentic style
- Enjoy the flexibility of a private vehicle, the local knowledge of a passionate guide and the magic of camping under the great southern sky
- The Mary River Wetlands feature a wealth of wildlife, including the highest concentration of saltwater crocodiles in the southern hemisphere. Get up close to the snappy beasts on a billabong cruise
- Discover the wonders of Kakadu National Park
- Explore the masai mara national reserve in 4x4 safari vans
- Stay overnight in a safari camp
- Spot africa's "big five" in their natural habitat
- See rhinos and pelicans on the shores of lake nakuru
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Overland Journeys Experiences
Sleeping under the stars in the wide expanse of the Australian outback
Taking less traveled roads through Europe and visiting small country towns off the tourist track
The camaraderie that comes from intimately getting to know your tour mates - participating in all aspects of set up and break down during stops, cooking and cleaning
Getting out in nature and meeting challenge of long duration bus rides
Traveling down the entire coast of Chile
Feeling the sensation of being unplugged for an extended period
Going farther on a budget
Overland Journeys Trip Reviews
164 Overland Journeys Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Overland Journeys Tours and Travel Guide
Overland Journeys Attractions & Landmarks GuideAn Overland Journey is a very specific type of travel, which originated in Australia. It usually involves traveling for an extended period of time, as well as a distinct focus on travelers involvement with all facets of the trip. On any given day you may be helping cook meals, clean up, or organize an activity. This type of travel is not for everyone - most trips include long stretches over rough, bumpy terrain, and the term “roughing it” definitely applies to the experience. But the community aspect attracts open minded, fun, people and you’re sure to make lasting friends.
All Overland tours and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Overland Journeys trips.