Rio De Janeiro - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- San Cristobal Hill (Santiago)
- Picturesque Bariloche
- Buenos Aires City Tour
- Tango Show (Buenos Aires)
- Iguassu Falls
- Sugar Loaf Mountain (Rio)
- Copacabana (Rio)
- Discover Argentina & Brazil Tours
- Tango in Buenos Aires
- Explore Estancia in Argentina
- Visit Ibera Wetlands
- See the massive Iguazu Falls
- Enjoy Rio de Janeiro Trips
- Enjoy Luxury Dinner Tango Show
- Experience Buenos Aires City Tour
- Explore Iguazu Falls
- Visit Rio de Janeiro
- Discover Christ the Redeemer Statue
- Visit to Sugarloaf Mountain
- Explore Rio de Janeiro
- Enjoy the ride to Corcovado Mountain and its famous statue of Christ, the Redeemer
- See the Fabulous Iguazú Falls
- Drive through Praia Do Forte
- Enjoy Travelling to Rio de janeiro
- Explore Iguazu Falls
- See Sugar Loaf
- Experience Argentina & Brazil Tours
- Enjoy travelling from Rio de Janeiro to Iguazu Falls
- Explore Rio de Janeiro
- Take an opportunity to Ride to the top Corcovado Mountain
- See the famous statue of Christ the Redeemer
- View the impressive Iguazu Falls
- Discover places as Parque Lezama, Defensa Street, and the Flea Market premises.
- Visit the city known as 'The Paris of South America' through our exclusive 'Four Balconies of Buenos Aires' tour.
- Explore Rio de Janeiro city
- Discover Rio de Janeiro Beaches
- Sugar Loaf & Corcovado Tour with lunch
- Enjoy Corcovado Tour
- Enjoy Argentina & Brazil Tours
- Enjoy Sensual Tango in Buenos Aires
- Visit the Highlights of Rio de Janeiro
- See the beaches of Copacabana, Ipanema & Leblon, the Rodrigo Freitas Lagoon and the Botanical Garden.
- Discover Rio de Janeiro
- Great opportunity to regular tour to the Christ the Redeemer statue atop Corcovado Mountain, one of the seven wonders of the world
- Explore Manaus
- See the magnificent Pousada which was declared an UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Enjoy the expedition along the Amazon River will begin at the Port of Manaus
- Amazon Expedition, you will take a jungle trek to learn about jungle hunting techniques and medicinal plants
- Explore Rio de Janeiro
- Drive through Foz Do Iguaçu with magnificent views over the river and waterfall system
- See the fascinating Iguassu Falls, area is surrounded by deep jungle
- Experience tour through Pantanal which is a diverse landscape of savannah lowlands, seasonally flooded wetlands and rich forested areas.
- Tours takes you to awesome Amazon rainforest , jungle and observe the giant water lily, the majestic trees around.
- Explore Manaus, colorful history, botanical gardens and famous Opera House
- Rio de Janeiro
- Sugarloaf Mountain
- Corcovado - Christ the Redeemer statue
- Flora & Fauna - The Pantanal
- Daily wildlife excursions
- Explore Lima
- Visit Pisaq Market & The Sacred Valley
- Visit Machu Picchu
- Enjoy Buenos Aires City Tour & Tango Show
- Explore Iguassu Falls
- Train journey through the Atlantic Rainforest
- Visit Lima, the City of the Kings
- Cuzco, the former Inca Capital
- Machu Picchu, one of the Seven Wonders of the World
- Iguassu Falls, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World
- Rio de Janeiro, the Marvelous City
- Visit Buenos Aires
- Enjoy Tango Show & 3-course Dinner in Buenos Aires
- Visit Iguassu Falls Tour - from Brazilian & Argentine sides!
- Visit historic Port of Antonina
- Scenic Train Ride through the Atlantic Rainforest
- Visit Sao Paulo City Tour
- Rio de Janeiro Tour to Sugarloaf & Corcovado
- Paraty Schooner Cruise
- Brazilian National Treasure sites: Paraty, Tiradentes, and Petrópolis
- Mariana Gold Mine
- UNESCO World Heritage Site of Ouro Preto
- Congolhas & the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Congonhas
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Rio De Janeiro Experiences
- Dancing at blocos (street parties) till the sun comes up
- Taking a cable car to the top of the Sugarloaf
- Drinking caipirinhas on Copacabana and Ipanema beaches
- Taking in the view of the city from Christ the Redeemer
- Exploring a favela
- Wandering through the interesting streets of Santa Teresa
- Learning some samba at Pedro do Sal
- Attending the epic party that is Carnival
Rio De Janeiro Trip Reviews
127 Rio De Janeiro Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Rio De Janeiro Tours and Travel Guide
Rio De Janeiro Attractions & Landmarks Guide
There is much to see and do in Rio, Brazils second most populous area, and one of the largest in all of South America. From famous sites, such as the Christ Redeemer statue to the eye opening favelas scattered around the city, it's a trip to be remembered. Stride can help you find the perfect tour to explore Rio.
Top Things to Do in Rio
Rio is famous for its street parties, and with good reason- these are some of the best parties in the world! People dance in the streets to live music, drinking caipirinhas, and partying till the sun comes up. You can find out when and where the street parties are taking place online or by asking a local or someone who works at your hotel.
Learn Some Samba
Samba is a huge part of life in Rio. Even if you have two left feet, learning some basic steps can be really fun. You can take in some lessons at one of the many samba schools throughout the city, or just visit one of the samba street parties and pick it up as you go! Pedra do Sal is a famous samba party that takes place every Monday in the Centro neighborhood.
Visit a Favela
The favelas are built on the hills throughout Rio. Traditionally they housed former slaves, and now they house the poorer of Rio’s residents. Drug-related violence is high in these areas, and they are definitely not safe to wander into alone. But the favelas are nonetheless a fun and lively part of Rio, where parties take place in the streets, people are warm and friendly towards visitors, and the air is filled with the sounds of samba. A visit here is definitely worth including in a trip to Rio, though be sure to be safe and take a guide.
Take in the Views
The view of Rio from above is breathtaking- the sprawling city, stunning beaches, and oddly shaped mountains make for a city unlike any other.
Though many people take the trip to Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) to see the statue, the real reward is the view of the city below. Another popular viewpoint is from the top of the Sugarloaf (Pão de Açúcar), which is accessed via a cable car. If you’d prefer to trek to your viewpoint, the Two Brothers (Dos Hermanos) trek in the Botanic Gardens (Jardim Botanico) is a good choice.
Don’t forget to also take in a view of the city at night. Though the viewpoints listed above close when the sun goes down, there are several others, such as the Chinese Pagoda, where you can see Rio at night. Take a taxi and have them wait for you as you admire the city view and take your snaps.
Visit the Beaches
Rio is renowned for its beaches. Copacabana and Ipanema stretch for miles along the coastline. These beaches are far more than just a place to catch some sun- people come here to party, play volleyball, jog along the seafront, grab some street food, drink beer and caipirinhas, work out at one of the many outdoor gyms, practice capoeira on the sand, or just to compare who looks best in swimwear (though unfortunately, the high waves make the beaches less than ideal for swimming). Be prepared to spend a lot of your time here during your trip to Rio- the beaches are among the best places to be (and good luck getting “The Girl From Ipanema” out of your head).
All Rio De Janeiro tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Rio De Janeiro trips.