River Rafting - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Explore Nez Perce National Historical Park
- Experience gorgeous scenery, sunlight and exciting Salmon river rapids on this Salmon River rafting trip
- Adventurous explorers will have a chance to swim through a rapid as we go through Cottonwood Creek
- Visit Green Canyon which is home of the famous Demon's Drop and Wright Way rapids
- Explore two iconic South American destinations: The Galapagos Islands and Machu Picchu
- Hike, bike, and kayak among the wonders of the Galapagos Islands
- Trek through the Sacred Valley of the Incas and spend two days at Machu Picchu
- Follow expert, local guides who bring these astonishing locations to life
- Raft Class II-III rapids over 132 miles down the river pioneered by MTS co-founder Richard Bangs in 1976, through one of the earth’s greatest wilderness frontiers
- Camp by the river each night and enjoy delicious meals while listening to river legends and lore around the campfire told by our world-class river guides—the best in the business!
- Spot grizzly bear, bald eagle, wolf, mountain goat, and moose and ride past fields of wildflowers, sweeping glaciers, and a flotilla of icebergs
- Explore the surrounding countryside hiking alongside creeks and through glacier valleys
- Enjoy scenery, wildlife and adventure of Idaho and Oregon's Owyhee River.
- See multitudes of wildflowers, birds and reptiles as you raft through the Owyhee's Class II-IV whitewater rapids.
- Soak in a hot spring or hike up a canyon draw.
- Scenic drive up the Alaska Highway
- Alaska rafting in Tatshenshini-Alsek Wilderness
- See grizzlies, moose, bighorn sheep, wolves and eagles
- Float through massive icebergs in Alsek Bay
- Spectacular flight back to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory
- This is a outdoor leadership course designed for age range 16 and Up
- Build core skills: Learn and practice wilderness, teamwork and leadership skills. Form a crew that supports and encourages one another, and in the thick of challenges, discover there is more in you than you know.
- Practice Outward Bound values: Learn to incorporate Outward Bound values into everyday life by pushing your own limits and seeking challenge as an opportunity for personal growth.
- Demonstrate mastery: As the course nears the end, take on more leadership and decision-making responsibilities. Work together to apply new skills and achieve team goals during this final phase of the expedition.
- What you’ll learn: Return home a stronger, more resilient individual. Discover increased self-confidence, improved leadership, and a desire to make a difference.
- Hike a short distance to 1,000-year-old Fremont Native American petroglyphs
- Hike to a historic homestead rich in folklore and outlaw history
- Enjoy a beautiful hike or van ride to the river’s edge.
- The biggest whitewater on the Green River.
See the amazing Sezibwa falls
- Nature walk in Mabira Forest
- Boat ride to the Source of River Nile
- White Water Rafting on River Nile
- Hike Sipi Falls
- Hike to Mt Elgon
- Rafting the pristine Franklin River
- Wilderness camping
- Sailboat journey
- Grand Canyon Rafting on the Colorado River
- Explore Redwall Cavern & Nautiloid Canyon
- Hike to Nankoweep & explore Native American ruins
- Raft 19 major rapids like Unkar, Hance, Sockdolager & Grapevine
- Lees Ferry rafting to Phantom Ranch ends with a hike out on Bright Angel Trail
- The Salmon River Canyons is a trip with “pool and drop” characteristics
- Plenty of rapids, sun and dramatic scenery await you on an adventure-packed day of family white water rafting
- Visit a Native American rock art site, left by the original inhabitants of this rugged land
- We'll see the confluence of the Salmon and Snake Rivers
- We'll see the original Nez Perce trail descending down the canyon to a ford used for centuries by the Nez Perce as they travelled east from the Wallowa Mountains
- Visit our own River Dance Lodge, a beautiful log cabin adventure resort just two hours east.
- Horseback riding, hiking, fishing and biking are a few of the available activities
- Hike, bike, and raft through Costa Rica's beautiful jungles and rivers
- Enjoy a thrilling two-day whitewater rafting trip and relax at a river camp
- Explore high and low while rappelling waterfalls and ziplining through forests
- Visit Arenal Volcano National Park, Cherro Chato, Turrialba, and more
- Grand Canyon river rafting adventure,
- Rig rafts enter awesome Lower Granite Gorge with a series of moderate rapids including Granite Spring, Diamond Creek and Travertine
- Time to hike, explore and play at Travertine Grotto
- Savor your final morning in Grand Canyon as you head down river and across Lake Mead to where a shuttle will return you to Las Vegas.
- Get your adrenaline pumping on this mixed activity trip - whitewater rafting, canyoning, kayaking and zip-lining included!
- Experience rainforest, volcanoes and coastline of this diverse ecological paradise
- Sea kayaking around Manuel Antonio's coastline and snorkel in the Pacific
- Optional visit to the thermal waters of Ecotermales Hot Springs near Arenal Volcano
- Stay in comfortable hotels and eco-lodges with the majority of activities included
- Escape to three remote Utah national parks in one unforgettable week, and explore the otherworldly landscape of the famed Goblin Valley State Park
- Hike amid the greatest concentration of natural arches on Earth in Arches National Park
- Get a bird’s-eye view of iconic features, such as the Island in the Sky and the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers, on an amazing air safari!
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top River Rafting Experiences
Rafting through Raft Badger and Soap Creek rapids of Grand Canyon
Hiking to explore the Grand Canyon which can only be accessed from the river
Seeing beautiful Kackar Mountains while rafting Coruh River in Turkey
Stopping to camp at a sandy beach
Gathering around campfire and listening to river legends
Spotting amazing wildlife and beautiful landscapes
Seeing monkeys while rafting through Sun Kosi River of Nepal
River Rafting Trip Reviews
82 River Rafting Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
River Rafting Tours and Travel Guide
River Rafting Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Whitewater river rafting -- especially class III and above, with plenty of churning rapids -- provides all the thrills most adventurous travelers could ask for. Long-distance river rafting trips are available in many countries; just grab a paddle and helmet and prepare to follow your river guide's instructions. It's a good multi-generational activity, too, especially with teenagers.
Whitewater River Rafting vs. Beginner River Rafting
No matter how much of a beginner you are, river rafting is always a thrilling experience. If you are not going whitewater rafting you’ll experience the joy of being outside, drifting through calm water in the sun, taking in the unique view of the landscape from the middle of the river.
Whitewater rafting is a bit less about gazing at the landscape and more about the adrenaline rush of soaring down the river through thrilling rapids, avoiding rocks and banks, and working with your companions to stay upright.
But the thrills are nicely intermittent with periods of calm, when you can gather yourself in preparation for the next whitewater section, and appreciate the surrounding landscape. Whitewater rivers - really any rafting rivers, are by nature situated in stunning landscapes so appreciate the beauty!
Popular Rafting Destinations:
All River Rafting tours, cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all River Rafting trips.