Rivers & Seas - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Take guided walk through the grounds of Kalemegdan Fortress
- Experience two nights in bustling Budapest, cosmopolitan capital of Hungary
- Sail past dramatic natural wonders like the soaring white cliffs of the Iron Gate region
- Enjoy Serbian & Hungarian folkloric performances
- Enjoy the authentic flavors of Eastern Europe, on shore and aboard
- Spend one amazing night in Yangon, fly to Mandalay and embark upon a 14-night cruise ending in Yangon
- Visit Sagaing, opportunity to see hundreds of monasteries and tranquil atmosphere.
- Explore Yangon
- Visit Yokesonekyaung, built in 1882 and the region’s oldest surviving wooden monastery.
- Take an opportunity to cruise through the Ayeyarwady Delta region
- Explore the massive reclining Buddha at Chaukhtautgyi Temple.
- Visit Nanjing, where you will tour the Sun Yat-sen Memorial
- An excursion to Jiuhuashan or “Mountain of the Nine Lotuses”, one of the four sacred mountains in Chinese Buddhism
- Visit the Hubei Provincial Museum.
- Visit the Three Gorges Dam, the largest in the world.
- Visit Wu Gorge, known for its quiet beauty and forest-covered mountains
- Enjoy the Cruise of luxury Emerald Star-Ship
- Discover Cologne which is famous for its magnificent World–Heritage listed Gothic Cathedral
- Enjoy cruise through the spectacular Rhine Gorge
- Visit the Bishops’ Residenz
- Explore this UNESCO World Heritage city Bamberg
- Visit fascinating abbey at Melk, a 900-year-old Benedictine monastery
- Opportunity to tour Regensburg a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Get an opportunity to visit 9 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Discover Netherlands
- Visit Marksburg Castle, the only Rhine fortress never destroyed
- Explore Idaho
- Experience the nature by visiting Bitterroot Mountains
- Enjoy the rafting and whitewater rafting in Lochsa River
- Visit the city of Ushuaia is the world’s southernmost city, the capital of Tierra del Fuego
- At the Antarctic Convergence, watch for sea mammals, albatross, and petrel in these krill-rich waters.
- The Antarctic Peninsula and nearby islands provide opportunities to discover the wildlife and landscapes.
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader & Expedition Team;
- World famous clubs and wild parties (Mykonos)
- Memorable adventures
- Traditional vintage cruise ships
- Experienced local tour leader
- Taj Mahal
- Delhi Sightseeing
- Elephant Ride to Amber Fort (Jaipur)
- Sunrise Boat Ride on the Ganges River
- Durbar Square (Kathmandu)
- World famous clubs and wild parties (Mykonos)
- Memorable adventures
- Traditional vintage cruise ships
- Experienced local tour leader
- Explore Lima
- Visit the ruins on your own or explore Aguas Calientes
- Explore the walls, stairways, temples and terraces of Machu Picchu.
- Visit the colorful Pisac market where you'll be able to trade with locals for a variety of handicrafts
- Explore the heart of Amazon River on board of the Amatista River boat.
- Visit the Pacaya-Samiria Reserve, Peru's largest national park
- Explore Iquitos
- Ride with a scenic backdrop along the spectacular historic Columbia River Highway
- Hike a route with stunning views and blooming wildflowers
- Explore the informative Columbia Gorge Discovery Center
- Visit Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood
- Visit a remote Alpine lake fed by glaciers with imposing views of Mt. Hood
- Visit Old Jaffa at night, where Peter stayed at the house of Simon the Tanner
- Visit the impressive Caesarea Maritima, built in honor of Augustus Caesar by Herod the Great (Acts 10 & 25)
- Visit Mount Carmel, where Elijah issued his challenge to the False Prophets.
- Explore Megiddo and the Valley of Armageddon (Revelation 16)
- Experience a breathtaking panoramic view of Nazareth from the top of Mt. Precipice
- Drive by Cana of Galilee, where Jesus performed his first miracle- the turning of water into wine at a wedding feast (John 2:1-11)
- Sail on the Sea of Galilee on a wooden boat as the disciples did 2,000 years ago
- Visit the “Ancient Jesus Boat” at Kibbutz Nof Geonsar
- Visit Yardenit – the baptismal site on the Jordan River
- Stand atop the Mount of Beatitudes (Matt. 5-8), where Jesus preached the Sermon on the Mount
- Ascend to Masada by cable car and discover this ancient fortress built by King Herod
- Enjoy a relaxing afternoon at our Dead Sea resort hotel, where you can enjoy the famous Dead Sea Spa treatments
- Experience a breathtaking panoramic view From the Mount of Olives toward Old City Jerusalem
- Explore the Southern Temple Mount archaeological excavations and the Davidson Center Museum
- Visit Bethlehem, the Church of the Nativity, and Shepherd’s Field
- Visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher and the Garden Tomb
- Walk through the ancient Old City of Jerusalem
- A trek to Base Camp of mount Annapurna.
- Cross over high mountain passes.
- Experience the warmth of the local Nepali culture.
- Get a spectacular panoramic view of the Annapurna Ranges and Dhawalagiri Zone.
- See many high peaks with height of 8000 meters or more.
- Explore Rio de Janeiro
- Enjoy the ride to Corcovado Mountain and its famous statue of Christ, the Redeemer
- See the Fabulous Iguazú Falls
- Drive through Praia Do Forte
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Rivers & Seas Experiences
Seeing the fairy-tale castles and medieval villages on Danube River cruise.
Sailing across the Aegean and Adriatic Sea on a small ship cruise, stopping to visit ruins of Olympia in Greece, and Albania’s historic city of Butrint.
Taking an expedition cruise to the Antarctic Peninsula and on the way stopping to see South Shetland Islands and Bransfield Strait.
Enjoying a boat tour along the Ganges River where you get to see the temples and Hindu’s performing the bathing ritual.
Cruising through Moselle and Rhine rivers, which is the heart of the scenic German wine country.
Rivers & Seas Trip Reviews
815 Rivers & Seas Tour Reviews - Summary 95% Recommend
Rivers & Seas Tours and Travel Guide
Rivers & Seas Attractions & Landmarks Guide
The world's rivers and seas have become prime cruising destinations, especially over the past decade, as travelers increasingly discover the benefits of small-ship and river cruises. Small ships and river ships are far more intimate than ocean-going mega-liners, sightseeing is at closer distances, port stops are generally more frequent, and smaller ports unavailable to big ships can be added to itineraries.
While Europe remains the epicenter of river cruising, Asia, North and South America, and Africa are fast gaining popularity, while small ships sail the Mediterranean, Baltic, and Black Seas, among others, and make expeditions to the Polar Regions as well.
The Alluring Amazon
Perhaps dissuaded by the thought of piranhas, mosquitos, and the many other pesky creatures that make The Amazon their home, people have historically not made this a vacation destination. But that is changing. Taking an Amazon River Cruise is becoming increasingly popular, and itineraries are very diverse. You can choose between hiking through wilderness or a more relaxing journey with a luxury operator.
The Beautiful Blue Danube
A European river cruise is an experience not to be missed. On a leisurly Danube river cruise, you will sail past grand architectural sights, quaint European towns, and impressive history around every turn. An impressive 1,780 miles long, The Danube flows from Germany to Romania on its way to the Black Sea. One of if not the most popular river cruise destination, it is truly a sight to behold and no wonder it has it’s very own waltz.
The Bright Blue Mediterranean
The stunning blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea have beckoned travelers for centuries. This gorgeous body of water and the land region represented by the same name is one of the most traveled to regions in the world. If you’re visiting any one of the countries that share the Mediterranean's shores, be sure to take advantage of a day trip out on the water. Alternatively, this is one of the most popular destinations for taking a small ship cruise.
Mysteries of the Nile
Sail past the intriguing lands of Ancient Egypt and beyond on a Nile river cruise. At 4,258 miles long, it’s importance to the livelihoods and cultures of the people who have depended on it for centuries cannot be understated. History will come alive as you pass iconic structures and the beautiful Middle Eastern landscape.
Crossing the Ocean
An ocean cruise is one of the slowest ways to travel, but also one of the most rewarding. Feeling the pace and the vast distance, you will get a sense for what early explorers must have gone through (and appreciate the luxury of your cruise cabin!). It also affords you the opportunity to visit multiple countries in one trip, which is a great way to cover a lot of ground, if you don't mind the limited amount of time you will get to spend in each place.
|Europe, Asia, North America|
|Germany, France, Romania, Brazil, China, United States of America, Egypt, Burma, Netherlands, Austria|
Popular River Cruises:
|Seine River, France; Rhine River, Germany; Danube River, Nile River, Egypt; Mekong River, Cambodia; Yangtze River, China & Many More|
|Guided Group tours; 50+; Scenic Sightseeing|
All Rivers & Seas tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Rivers & Seas trips.