Tanzania - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Incredible wildlife viewing in the natural sanctuary of the Ngorongoro Crater
- A chance to see the infamous tree climbing lions of Manyara and the Serengeti
- The vast wide open plains of the Serengeti, teeming with wildlife
- Dates scheduled around the wildebeest migration
- The enormous elephant herds of Tarangire National Park
- Explore Arusha
- Drive to Ngorongoro Crater, enjoy walking safari or standard game drive including sundowners
- Visit Serengeti National Park's Mwiba Airstrip
- Enjoy a world class breakfast at your lodge and a morning at leisure
- Spend your next 3 days at the Resort & Spa enjoying the multitude of activities on offer
- Discover Zanzibar
- Enjoy visiting Dar es Selaam
- Rift Valley View
- African Galeria shopping visit
- This safari is ideal for travel between June - October
- Features the best parks for game viewing: Tarangire, Ngorongoro Crater, and the central and northern regions of the Serengeti
- A mix of game drives and walking safaris for varied and spectacular game viewing
- Expert guides with an infinite knowledge of each area
- Exclusive accommodation that blends comfort and style with the ultimate wilderness experience
- Spot the "big five" from agile 4x4 safari vehicles
- Feel the mist of victoria falls
- Chill out at lake malawi
- Raft the zambezi river
- Bliss out on the beaches of zanzibar
- Look for the “Big Five” while following the animals of the Great Migration.
- Learn about the contribution of Louis and Mary Leakey during a field trip to Olduvai Gorge.
- At a Maasai village and a rural community, learn how the migration impacts the lives of the indigenous people.
- Explore the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
- Visit Lake Magadi, a large but shallow alkaline lake in the southwestern corner.
- Enjoying the amazing scenery of Africa, across rivers and over numerous small villages.
- Visit the world famous Ngorongoro Crater National Park in Tanzania
- Visit Tarangire National Park
- Enjoy game drives
- Chance to see the tree climbing lion
- Explore the Serengeti National park
- Experience the incredible views of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Visit Tarangire and Manyara National Parks, Manyara Ranch is home to a bountiful wildlife corridor
- Explore Ngorongoro Crater
- A stunning eight-day route, designed to maximise acclimatisation
- Stand on top of a continent, an unforgettable experience
- We use 1 guide for every 2 clients
- A classic safari to some of East Africa's finest game parks
- The magnificent natural bowl of Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti
- Cycling is the perfect way to enjoy the incredible landscapes of Tanzania. When the going gets tough, ride in the support vehicle, and when it’s time to see wildlife, swap the bike for a jeep or truck
- Kick off your adventure with that cornerstone of all cycling adventures – coffee. Roast, grind and taste your own in the village of Tengeru
- The Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater are two of Africa’s very best wildlife arenas. Fall asleep surrounded by creatures of the African plains and take a safari in search of the rare black rhino
- Venture to the weird and the wonderful – the far-out Ol Doinyo Lengai volcano, Hemingway’s beloved Lake Manyara and the flamingo-dotted, deep-pink chameleon that is Lake Natron
- Cycle where tourists rarely go, across the remote, barely-charted plains of Lengai in the realm of misty volcanic peaks
- Enjoy the long and winding descent into the stunning Great Rift Valley, barely pedalling a single stroke
- Ascent of the remote Shira Route on Mt Kilimanjaro
- Summit Point Lenana on Mt Kenya, via the lesser known Chogoria Route
- Experience a sunrise over Mawenzi
- Enjoy spectacular scenery while trekking
- Discover the flora and fauna of the region while spotting wildlife
- Discovering the wonders of Ruaha National Park, Selous Game Reserve and the Swahili Coast
- Get the perfect snapshot of Tanzania’s Southern Circuit
- With gorilla permits included in the price of the trip, seek out the rare mountain gorilla on a trek through Uganda's steamy forests and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence
- Wander around Stone Town’s bustling bazaars and fragrant spice markets and receive a guided tour of the spice plantation
- Hang with local mamas in Arusha preparing a local Swahili dish before being a guest into their home.
- Explore the stunning Serengeti and discover animals unlike any you have ever seen
- Embark on a safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open roof safari 4x4 for a chance to see a Black Rhino.
- The Masai Mara National Reserve is filled with iconic vistas and animals – safari through it with an early morning and late afternoon game drive in 4x4 vehicles.
- Experience the two sides of Jinja, a riverside retreat at the source of the Nile but also the adventure capital of Uganda
- Step into the wild for a luxury Tanzania Safari adventure
- Custom expedition offering the opportunity for unforgettable early morning and late afternoon game drives
- Explore through Tarangire and Ngorongoro Crater
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Tanzania Experiences
Visiting Serengeti National Park, one of the best spots to see big game in Africa.
Checking out the volcano and array of game animals in Ngorongoro Crater.
Hiking to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Birdwatching in Tarangire National Park.
Exploring the region of Zanzibar and its beaches.
Wandering the narrow alleyways of Stone Town on the intriguing island of Zanzibar.
Seeing a beautiful display of flamingos on Lake Manyara.
Tanzania Trip Reviews
518 Tanzania Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Tanzania Tours and Travel Guide
Tanzania Attractions & Landmarks Guide
A popular Tanzanian saying suggests that “a patient person eats ripe fruit.” Well, now is the time to a take a bite by embarking on the Tanzania vacation package of your dreams. This nation’s idyllic location, fronting the placid waters of the Indian Ocean, combines all the best of East Africa.
Are you game to visit some of the top wildlife reserves on the entire continent, lounge on white-sand beaches ripe for catching rays, or explore that mountain of lore, Kilimanjaro -- its trio of snow-capped volcanic cones etching the sky as the highest point in Africa? You’ve undoubtedly heard of Serengeti, Zanzibar and Kilimanjaro; now it’s time to see these magical places on the best Tanzania tours imaginable.
Landscapes and Wildlife
Tanzania’s borders harbor a diverse landscape and abundant wildlife. Consider Lake Manyara, where in the wet season more than 300 species of migratory birds hang out, and in-the-pink flamingos number in the thousands. In the dry season, mud flats offer ideal opportunities to view elephants, hippos, wildebeest and giraffes. Many Tanzania package tours feature stays in Lake Manyara wildlife lodges. And be sure to look up: among the main local attractions are tree-climbing lions.
The island of Zanzibar, once an integral part of the British Empire, is now a veritable melting pot of African, Arabian and Indian influences. This semi-autonomous region of Tanzania sports beach resorts perfect for a romantic Africa getaway, while its charming Stone Town -- a maze of cobblestone alleyways and vibrant bazaars -- offers an authentic taste of the Swahili Coast.
A Volcano and a Crater
Mount Kilimanjaro may now be an inactive volcano, but activities abound for trekkers taking to its slopes. Its snow-capped peak gracefully sets the backdrop for the savannah and its spectacular wildlife far below. In his story “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” Ernest Hemingway wrote: “There, ahead, all he could see, as wide as all the world, great, high, and unbelievably white in the sun, was the square top of Kilimanjaro. And then he knew that there was where he was going.” That could be you!
Tough to pronounce, but worth the effort to visit, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area is another volcanic wonder. Think of this UNESCO World Heritage Site as a reverse Kilimanjaro: Ngorongoro’s volcano blew up, collapsed and formed an immense crater. This region is now home to abundant wildlife, and the local Maasai tribe, who you may see dressed in their signature orange robes, grazing their cattle at the crater.
Another UNESCO World Heritage Site, Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park, is renowned for the annual migration of wildebeest and zebras amid its grassland plains and savannah, offering up countless National Geographic moments. Cameras are mandatory here – keep them primed for that perfect photo op.
These are just some of the highlights of a Tanzania tour, which will show you sights and offer you experiences you could have only imagined. Isn’t it time to book one on Stride now?
All Tanzania safaris, tours, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Tanzania trips.