Intrepid Travel vs On The Go Tours - Tour Companies Compared
Compare details and see what other travelers are saying.
Overall — 5
Value — 4.6
Guide — 4.6
Activities — 4.6
Lodging — 4.6
Transportation — 4.6
Meals — 4.6
Overall — 5
Value — 4.7
Guide — 4.7
Activities — 4.7
Lodging — 4.7
Transportation — 4.7
Meals — 4.7
5.0 June 2018
Loved this trip. Camping in very nice places - usually had hot water and nice showers. Great itinerary - LOVED Namibia and the variety of the tour from the desert to the delta to the parks.
5.0 December 2017
Amazing Thailand Family Trip
Thailand Cambodia Trip. Nov 2017. For my 60th birthday I decided I wanted to take my family of 6 to Thailand and Cambodia. After my initial conversation with the Intrepid office, they pulled together a perfect 24 day custom itinerary for us. My Intrepid coordinator really listened. We set up a incredibly diverse trip, ranging from ocean front resorts to a primitive hillside village trek. From the minute we landed in Bangkok, to the day we flew home, all transfers went off with out a hitch. What really made our trip memorable was our local guides. Every single one of them were warm, professional, humorous but most importantly, had a deep knowledge of the geography, the plant life, dining, the history and government. We felt by the end of the trip, these guides had become a part of our family. The entire trip was amazing and we will definitely use Intrepid for our next adventure travel. Thanks so much.Read more
5.0 October 2017
the guide was very knowledgeable - friendly - great sense of humour - looking out for the safety of the tour members - organised - thoroughly nice guy
Tour Delhi to Kathmandu
2.0 January 2017
Does Not Recommend
The tour they organized for my daughter and I to Egypt was well planned and the guides we had were excellent. That said, On the Go booked a hotel for us that had no hot water. This wasn't a brief problem at the hotel. The hot water taps are actually disconnected! On The Go sold this to me as a 4 or 5 star hotel. I had to rebook another hotel at my additional expense. Tour management has told me that my decision to leave was last minute and they will not refund. Again, the tour went well and staff/guides were terrific. Just make sure to investigate the hotels they recommend. I'm not sure they know much about them.Read more
Tour On The Go Tours Company Reviews
5.0 January 2017
My dad and I did the shere khan tour in India. Got home on Monday. We had such a fantastic time, it catered for both age groups, we just loved it and our guide Yusef was brilliant! 1st class guide, he is knowledgeable, easy going, any minor issues he sorted immediately no fuss. Very professional. If there were not so many places to still visit I would def. Go back.Read more
Tour On The Go Tours Company Reviews
5.0 January 2017
Returned home a day ago after having had an outstanding trip to a country that has crept into my heart. Hoi An has now become my most beautiful city in the world. Our tour mates were fun and we quickly bonded as a team. An enormous thank you to our tour guide Ken Nguyen who is the best guide in the universe. What an outstanding person, his knowledge and passion for his country was moving and his leadership and people skills brilliant.Read more
Tour On The Go Tours Company Reviews
|Tours||1,071 Trips||405 Trips|
|Average Trip Price Per Day||$ 187||$ 255|
|Operator Type||Mixed Land & Cruise||Mixed Land & Cruise|
|Size||Global Operator||Global Operator|
|Headquarters||Melbourne, Australia||London, UK|
|Solo Friendly||No single supplement||N/A|
Intrepid Travel is all about ‘real life experiences.’ Founded back in 1989 following an “intrepid” African adventure trip, Intrepid lives up to its name by offering up some pretty big adventures -- such as an 11-day hike through Papua New Guinea -- but is broad-based enough to also lead group trips to Hawaii, complete with sipping sunset Mai Tais on Waikiki Beach.
Intrepid Travel - Quick Facts
Founded in 1989
No Single Supplement (rare exceptions)
Small Groups - max 16 on most trips
Typical Age Range - 18 - 45
Travel Style - Cultural immersion, adventure, overland
Accommodation Style - Camping, Hostels, 3 /4 star hotels
Average Tour Price - $2,377
Top Regions - Asia, Africa, Europe, South America
Other Brands: Peregrine, Geckos
What Makes Intrepid Travel Stand Out?
Above all else, Intrepid strives to get its travelers off the beaten path and under the surface of the local culture. To accomplish this, group sizes average just 10 travelers each, with a maximum of 16 on most trips. This allows for more use of local transportation and lodging, along with fostering cultural immersion.
Intrepid also employs local English-speaking leaders who act more as a resource for local exploration than do typical ‘guides,’ shepherding groups from one place to another.
Who Will Enjoy Traveling With Intrepid Travel?
Intrepid is one of the early pioneers of the “adventure”-style guided trip. Despite its informal beginnings and emphasis on younger, highly adventurous travelers, Intrepid has expanded to a global company with a broad range of trips to fit all ages.
Intrepid divides its small-group trips into three separate styles of travel, all priced accordingly. “Basix,” for budget travelers, keep inclusions to a minimum and offer plenty of free time, “Original” journeys which offer more included activities and more hotels, while “Comfort” trips offer the highest level of included activities and standards of accommodation, as well as roomier vehicles.
The kind of traveler who gravitates to Intrepid Travel is one who has a real sense of adventure - whether this means hard adventure, or simply going deeper off the beaten path. Interacting with locals is an important factor when you travel, as is gaining a unique cultural perspective. A sense of fun is also essential, whether it means going out at night with your tour mates or daring, ahem, encouraging each other to try strange new foods.
Originally focused on small group adventure tours to Asia, Intrepid has expanded rapidly over the years, while maintaining its classic, adventurous, and immersive style. Today Intrepid Travel offers more than 1,000 different experiences in over 100 countries, on all seven continents. Regions with the most trips include Asia, South America, Africa, and Europe.
Intrepid Travel Style
Intrepid enjoys using local, unique forms of transportation. You might find yourself traveling by felucca in Egypt, on a camel in Morocco, or in a tuk-tuk on the best Thailand tour of your life. Accommodations, which could range from guesthouses to home stays, are also locally owned, allowing a more authentic taste of the region while contributing to the local economy.
There are a few broad travel styles to choose from when deciding on an Intrepid tour:
1. Basix - Budget travelers who don’t mind, and in fact prefer, simple accommodations - camping and homestays with basic amenities, and crave a lot of free time for exploring independently will love these tours. Public transportation is used exclusively so pack light! These trips often attract a younger crowd who love the idea of throwing a backpack on, keep plenty of room for the unexpected in their schedule, and allocate their travel funds towards spontaneous bus tickets and street food instead of museum tours and 5 star restaurants.
2. Original - These trips take the backpacker spirit of local immersion, incorporating all the benefits that come with going with a planned itinerary. This style is called “Original” because it’s the type of travel that put Intrepid on the map...pun intended. Accommodations are still simple and budget minded - often homestays are used to give you a true sense of place, personality, and culture. Mostly public transportation is used.
3. Comfort - Intrepid is known for the active adventure style of travel and these trips keep that mentality, with a few more creature comforts thrown into the mix. You can expect higher end, more discerning, accommodations that include a wider variety of included amenities, transportation is mostly private, though you can still expect to use some public transport, as is the Intrepid way. More meals are included in the trip price, and more group activities - which means a bit less free time to explore on your own.
Why Choose a Tour With Intrepid Travel?
Intrepid is a good choice if you don’t mind foregoing some creature comforts for a truly authentic, local experience. If you enjoy meeting locals when traveling, sampling new and exciting foods, and traveling in mixed-aged groups of 10-16 people, Intrepid could be a good fit for you.
It’s important to note, sometimes “ample free time” can be a blessing and a curse. It sounds great on paper, but if you’re looking to maximize your dollar and your vacation time, be sure you understand the implications of having a lot of free time during your itinerary.
For some travelers this is an absolute requirement, but for others it can be tough to branch off and explore independently - you also need to make sure you allocate enough travel money for independent meals. The tour leaders are great resources of information for how to spend your free time, but if you like having a full day scheduled from breakfast to dinner, Intrepid may not be the best company for you.
Lastly, if sustainable and responsible travel is important to you, Intrepid has poured millions of dollars into local economies, and has a very strong emphasis on responsible travel. So you can feel good knowing that your money helps support some of the innkeepers, vendors, and communities that you’ll meet along the way.
On the Go Tour is a British-based tour company that runs primarily guided tours around the world but will also help fashion independent travel itineraries.
What Makes On the Go Tours Stand Out?
They have a large number of holiday styles, including a large number of options for independent travellers looking for tailor made trips. On the Go Tours is very accommodating and popular amongst solo and single travellers, with most of their escorted group tours requiring no single supplement.
Specialty tours, such as Tintin tours to Egypt, Jordan, and India, based on the adventures of the famous Belgian cartoon-book boy-journalist-explorer, are one of the main things that sets On the Go Tours apart.
Who Will Enjoy Travelling with On the Go Tours?
Those travellers who gravitate to busy, lively, itineraries, that also allow for spontaneity, and are budget conscious will love travelling on holidays with On the Go Tours. They are also very popular among those interested in festivals around the globe. These events are often large scale and can be difficult to navigate, find accommodation, and stay safe.
On the Go Tours provides a way to take the stress out of planning to attend a festival. And not just music, but Carnival at Rio; the vibrant Holi Festival in India; the Dragon Boat Festival in China; the Nadaam Festival in Mongolia; and the Boryeong Mud Festival in South Korea, along with many others. So if you are culturally curious and enjoy the idea of large crowds attending the same meaningful event, On the Go Tours would be a great place to start for these travel plans.
Travellers with On the Go Tours are mostly age 28 and up, and you can expect a wide range of ages and backgrounds among the group. These holidays are relatively active in nature - a lot of walking and time outdoors, On the Go does offer some family itineraries suitable for children. They also actively solicit single travelers, and don’t require a single supplement. Nationality wise, they attract mainly British, New Zealand, Australian, North American, and South African.
On the Go Tours operate around the world, with a large majority of holidays offered in Asia, Africa, and Europe. Australia, and Central and South America are also popular.
On the Go Tours Travel Style
The On the Go Tours travel style is a combination of coach travel, 3 to 4 star accommodation, some camping, walking and cycling. These tours will keep you active, and in most cases you will carry your own luggage, so pack light, and if you are relatively physically fit you will enjoy the days far more.
They have 5 “Holiday ranges” to help you determine the tour type that is going to be best suited to you.
1. Signature - The On the Go Tours Signature Collection is a group of higher end offerings. Accommodations will be in 4-5 star hotels, and groups are kept smaller, with a maximum of 24 people. Destinations are primarily focused in Asia, with a few departures in Europe including Iceland, Russia, and Italy. Peru is also available.
2. Budget - Budget tours are a key component of On the Go Tours. These trips are for active backpackpackers interested in meeting similar travelers in a larger group (max 32). You will be carrying your own luggage, and using a variety of transportation including overland vehicles, public buses and trains. Accommodation is in tented camps and 2-3 star hotels. Most meals are up to you and not included in the itinerary or base price.
3. Handpicked - These trips visit classic and iconic sights, utilizing locally run tours (where you might join up with other tour takers, not exclusively your own tour companions). Partners on the ground help On the Go craft a unique vision for your itinerary. Groups are small, around 28 people max.
4. Active - Active holidays with On the Go tours are intended for those travellers interested in being outdoors and have an adventurous frame of mind. Whether you’re traveling by bike, or on foot trekking or hiking. Travellers who are physically fit and used to stretching their limits will find the most enjoyment on an Active trip with On the Go Tours. Active holidays are offered in Asia and the Middle East primarily, with outings also available in Croatia, Turkey, and Africa.
5. Independent - For those travellers who aren’t as excited about a group tour and like the idea of being on their own but with a professionally planned itinerary, On the Go Tours has you covered! These bespoke tours allow you to have input over what you see, and the pace of your journey. Expect to pay a little bit more for this experience (bespoke tours with On the Go can be considered akin to their Signature Collection), but having the expertise behind your itinerary is all worth it.
Why Choose an Escorted Tour with On the Go Tours?
On the Go is a perfect starting place for active travellers who maybe don’t know quite yet the kind of journey they’re looking for and want a lot of choice. Prices are kept in the low to mid budget range, and on most tours you can expect a lot of inclusions - this does means there is quite a bit less free time available during the itinerary to explore on your own, so if this matters a lot to you, On the Go may not be the best fit.
From tours that specialise in festivals and events (both obscure and popular, musical and cultural), to bespoke holidays designed for you personally, to extended overland journeys, On the Go Tours has tons of holiday types to choose from.
Destinations cover a wide range of popular, classic, and off the beaten path locations from less traveled areas of Eastern Europe to the Middle East and Africa. The age range is diverse, and solo travelers are very welcome and actively encouraged to join On the Go Tours. This is a great tour company for meeting new people who have like-minded approaches to travel.