Transformative - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Meet local young people and lend a hand with inspiring art projects
- Explore Havana’s eclectic mix of architectural styles
- Learn to salsa with a Cuban dance instructor
- Roam the colorful alleyways of Trinidad, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Stroll along the seaside boulevards of Cienfuegos
- Hanoi icons including Temple of Literature, Ho Chi Minh President complex
- Discovery of Mai Chau valley: nature, culture, ethnic people
- Ninh Binh, commonly known as ""Terrestrial Halong Bay"", is famous for its multitude of sugar loaf mountains towering over rice fields, which provides a surprising and unusual landscape.
- A truly authentic experience at the local home-stay in Mekong delta"
- Learn how to cook Spanish food like a local during a cooking class with a local Chef.
- Imagine yourself sleeping in one of the most beautiful historic hotels in Spain
- Savour Spain's tastiest destination at Michelin-starred restaurants offering innovative creations with local products
- Be inspired by the beauty of Santiago de Compostela's Gothic Cathedral, a stunning architectural masterpiece
- Picture yourself in some of the most spectacular beaches in Europe at the Rias Baixas, Spain's main supplier of seafood & shellfish
- View the best seen to Mt. Everest from Kalapatter
- Explore the high mountain people and life.
- Meet the Sherpa Mt. Everest summiteer.
- Explore Mountain Buddhism in Nepal
- Inspire yourself seeing giant Himalaya.
- Discover new experiences throughout the Central Serengeti
- Enjoy game drive in the central Serengeti with your Namiri Guides
- On-Call, On-Demand Game Drives
- Specially-designed 4-Wheel Land Cruisers
- Unique, all included Chef-Prepared dining
- See the Ngorongoro and gather to watch the sun set over this magnificent wonder of the world
- Visit Ngorongoro Crater is a world heritage site, the world's largest intact volcanic caldera and is commonly referred to as the 8th wonder of the world
- Visit the town of Chordeleg, famous for its hand crafted straw plant hats and silver
- Drive to Cajas National Park, which is located 30km east of Cuenca
- Explore Cuenca City
- Tour to Alausí, just less than 100km (62 miles), beautiful old town with one hundred houses
- Discover Guayaquil City
- Visit to the Historic old town of Baku
- See Telavi and the wine growing region of Kakheti
- Enjoy Homestays with Georgian families in the Caucasus
- More UNESCO sites than you could shake a stick at!
- See the best of Armenia’s monasteries
- Daily yoga and meditation classes
- Camping and camel safari experience
- Ladakh Tour
- Visit Shey palace
- Enjoy the camel safari at the sand dunes between Deskit and Hundur village
- Visit Deskit Monastery (Big Buddha), where you can have a magnificent view of Nubra Valley
- Visit Hemis National Park
- Get your adrenaline pumping in adventurous baños
- Soak in the hot springs at papallacta
- Spend four nights cruising through galápagos national park
- Snorkel to search for sea turtles and rays
- Hike through bartolomé's lava fields
- See giant tortoises in santa cruz
- Visit New Delhi and Old Delhi
- Explore Raj Ghat, Red Fort and Jaipur
- Discover Hawa Mahal, Jantar Mantar Observatory
- Visit Fatehpur Sikri, Agra and Taj Mahal
- Visit Hirta - a UNESCO world heritage site
- See the sea cliffs of the St Kilda islands
- Explore the islands of the Outer Hebrides and the Small Islands
- Visit a world of glaciers and ice
- Explore impressive valley of Loðmundarfjörður fiord.
- Experience hiking over Hjálmárdalsheiði
- Explore Bakkagerði
- Visit the castle and the convent Carmen before visiting Castello Peralada’s degustacion centre
- See the old quarter known as El Pedro within the medieval walls contains many historic buildings.
- Explore Casa Museu Castell Gala Dali
- Visit some of the workshops including the wonderful Ponderosa run by 2 sisters
- Visiting the famous ruins of Empuries one of the most fascinating archaeological sites in Europe
- Kayaking through fields of luminescent blue icebergs
- Trekking along sinuous mountain ridges through Torres del Paine National Park
- Conquering Ascencio Valley and gazing up from the base of Las Torres
- Paddling Serrano River and Patagonian fjords, passing by the Southern Patagonian Ice Field
- Taj Mahal
- Delhi Sightseeing
- Elephant Ride to Amber Fort (Jaipur)
- Sunrise Boat Ride on the Ganges River
- Durbar Square (Kathmandu)
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Transformative Experiences
Exploring remote villages in Asia, meeting locals and learning about their approach to daily life
Helping a clean-up crew improve the beaches in Costa Rica, making them safer for the sea turtles that nest there
Spending a day helping build a school and distribute supplies
Going deeper into a yoga practice with help and guidance from a teacher in India
The feeling of personal fulfillment that comes with going deeper into any destination - participating in and learning about the nuances of local life
Transformative Trip Reviews
1,781 Transformative Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Transformative Tours and Travel Guide
Transformative Attractions & Landmarks GuideAll travel is transformative in one way or another. However some tours make this a focal point. Transformative tours often focus on the individual traveler from inside out, highlighting the inner experience that comes from cultural immersion or a local homestays. Many transformative tours are heavy in yoga and meditation, as well as rejuvenating outdoor activities.
All Transformative tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Transformative trips.