Trekking & Expeditions - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
- Explore Rwanda
- Explore the Volcanoes National Park and spot incredible wildlife from spotted hyenas to the extremely rare golden monkey
- Enjoy Mountain Gorilla Safari
- Travel to Patagonia
- Enjoy Great Patagonia Trekking
- Visit Torres del Paine National Park
- Sail to Grey Glacier
- Conquer Paine Towers
- Enjoy Terrific Views of Los Cuernos
- Visit Milodon Cave
- Enjoy the wonderful view of the Kenyan interior.
- Views overlooking Mawenzi, Kibo and the wide plain of the Masai steppe.
- See the main summit Kibo with Mawenzi.
- Ascend the dizzying heights of mighty Mount Toubkal, climbing to the highest peak in North Africa. With unequalled views of the Moroccan landscape, this is one thing you can tick off your bucket list
- Wander along forest paths and experience a traditional homestay in the Atlas Mountains. This is a great way to better understand Morocco’s traditional Berber people and their customs
- Embrace the vibrant souqs, sights, sounds and smells of Marrakech on a guided walking tour. Dine on tagine and couscous in Marrakesh’s biggest outdoor food market and watch from a rooftop cafe as the Djemaa el-Fna comes alive at dusk
- Plenty of free time in Marrakech allows you to really get under the skin of this vibrant city. This means you'll get to see everything you want, as well as having time to relax
- Soak up the stunning scenery of torres del paine national park
- Watch the ice floes of the grey glacier
- Trek through incredibly diverse scenery
- Visit the village of Huayllabamba
- Experience 2-hours hike leads to Intipunku (Gate of the Sun) which overlooks the awesome Machu Picchu
- Enjoy the climb magnificent views of the mountain ranges.
- Visit the Runkuraqay and Sayacmarca ruins
- Explore Thimphu
- Experience Trek to Soi Yaksa
- Trek to Shanawoma
- Enjoy your day hike for views of Jichudrake, Tserimgang and Chomolhari camp
- Discover Paro
- Explore Cusco
- Visit Soraypampa and experience with a hiking level of moderate to challenging is the most popular activity
- Explore the complete guided Machu Picchu
- Visit Santa Teresa River Valley
- Attempt to reach the summit of the highest mountain in Africa!
- Enjoy a world class hike with amazing views
- Relax in comfortable tents
- Enjoy fresh, local and organic produce prepared for by our professional chef
- Learn about the amazing history and cultures of Kilimanjaro and Tanzania
- Keep an eye out for African wildlife (Eland, Giraffes, primates and reptiles)
- Add a safari excursion post-trip for a seamless all-around Tanzanian experience
- Experience trekking the Annarpurna Circuit
- Experience Nepalese Culture and lifestyle
- Trek across Thorung La
- Enjoy trekking from Chame to Pisang
- Explore Yak Kharka while trekking
- Visit Muktinath
- Visit Patan and Bhaktapur
- Visit READ Library in Jomsom
Experience Nepal hiking amidst the splendor of the Himalayas and the Nepalese ancient culture on a low-altitude (7,500 feet) Nepal trekking vacation in the spectacular Annapurna region, with porters to carry your gear.
Enjoy wildlife viewing and 2 nights in Royal Chitwan National Park.
Safari by elephant into the world’s best habitat for viewing the Bengal Tiger!
Raft the beautiful Seti River and stay in safari-style tents at the Seti River Camp.
Take an optional scenic flightseeing tour around Mount Everest.
Stay in comfortable traditional-style lodges on trek, with solar-heated showers, flush toilets, and electricity.
Explore Kathmandu’s ancient city of Bhaktapur and the Buddhist Temple Complex of Boudhanath.
- Enjoy visiting magnificent Dyrfjöll and Stórurð
- Get the majestic look of Tröllakrókar cliffs
- Enjoy being at Skaftafell and the Glacier Lagoon
- See awesome mountaintops provide a colorful feast for the eyes
- Trek the famous Kokoda Track with a local cooperative that ensures local villages and communities benefit directly
- Follow in the footsteps of the Australian and allied soldiers who battled to defend Port Moresby from advancing Japanese forces in 1942. Hear incredible tales of courage and personal sacrifice from the local historian who accompanies you on the trek
- Meet friendly locals and stay in remote villages
- Hike up the arid spines of mountains and through valleys of lush rainforest. This challenging, rewarding adventure invites you to confront your own physical and mental boundaries in the middle of the jungle
- Get to know your personal porter, who will look out for you every step of the way
- Our Intrepid Kokoda trip includes a personal porter for each person on our trip, and one food porter per two Intrepid travellers. This not only ensures that you have the best experience possible, but we are also supporting employment in PNG.
- Reach a summit under the African sky
- Enjoy a once in a lifetime experience
- An adventure with African experts - we will take you to the summit of Africa
- Daily yoga and meditation classes
- Camping and camel safari experience
- Ladakh Tour
- Visit Shey palace
- Enjoy the camel safari at the sand dunes between Deskit and Hundur village
- Visit Deskit Monastery (Big Buddha), where you can have a magnificent view of Nubra Valley
- Visit Hemis National Park
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Trekking & Expeditions Experiences
Taking a classic Inca trail trek to Machu Picchu, or using one of the lesser known routes
Camping under millions of bright stars while on safari in Africa
Trekking in Patagonia and marveling at incredible geological structures
Trekking up to Everest Base Camp in Nepal
Walking the Milford track in picturesque New Zealand
Trekking & Expeditions Trip Reviews
2,816 Trekking & Expeditions Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Trekking & Expeditions Tours and Travel Guide
Trekking & Expeditions Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Trekking and other expeditions -- which often involve camping -- are a key aspect of adventure travel. Whether you're trekking in the Himalayas, crossing the Sahara, or joining an expedition to the Amazon rainforest, a good tour operator can ensure you have a safe and productive trip. Let Stride help you make your next expedition an adventure, not an ordeal.
Trekking and camping is a great way to slow down and really experience a country at the local level. You’ll likely walk past or through small villages, like the ones found in the Khumbu of Nepal and on the way to Machu Picchu in Peru. You’ll also have a chance to really connect with your travel companions over shared meals around the fire after a challenging but exhilarating day of trekking.
How to Choose the Right Trekking Trip
Choosing the right trip and tour company for your trekking vacation is key. Not only do you want quality service and a knowledgeable guide, but your safety is paramount and it can be hard to know which companies to trust. Stride is here to make the narrowing down process easier!
Options for Everyone
Treks can range from easy walks on relatively flat ground, such as the Abel Tasman route in New Zealand, to full on, expedition style adventures, like trekking to Mount Everest base camp in Nepal. When first researching a trekking trip, be honest with your physical shape. Does trekking for 5-6 hours per day for 12 days in a row at high altitude sound like fun? Great, then maybe Everest Base Camp is calling you! On the contrary, if that sounds like your worst nightmare, but you still want to get the blood pumping and enjoy the outdoors, perhaps you would enjoy trekking in the highlands of Thailand or Vietnam to experience local villages and indigenous life. Or, for something off the beaten path, you can trek through centuries old villages in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco, stopping each night at local guesthouses for a delicious meal of couscous and hot mint tea.
Safety & Training
Trekking in the outdoors is inherently more risky than some other travel styles, but there are two main factors in ensuring you have the trip of a lifetime and the safest possible experience. First is the reputation and qualifications of the tour company and their guides. How long has the tour company operated in the area that you’re traveling to? Are their guides trained in basic First Aid? For high altitude treks in Nepal, Tanzania, and elsewhere, do guides carry a gamow bag, which can help reverse the effects of altitude sickness and/or supplemental oxygen? These are all questions to research here on Stride or directly with your chosen tour operator.
The second factor is the type and amount of training you put in before you even land in your destination. For trekking specifically, nothing beats going on long hikes in your local hills, ideally with a weighted backpack. If you don’t have easy accessibility to the outdoors, the stairmaster at the gym will definitely do the trick! The more you put in on the front end in terms of preparedness, the more enjoyment you will get out of your trekking trip experience.
All Trekking & Expeditions tours, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Trekking & Expeditions trips.