Victoria Falls - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Get the perfect opportunity to take pleasure in the wildlife and birdlife
- Enjoy the incredible relaxing experience of cruising on the Chobe River
- Awesome view of magnificent Victoria Falls
- Cherish brilliant safari experience
- Experience a traditional braai dinner at Hanglip Mountain under the starry skies.
- Sample South African wines at a vineyard tasting.
- Get to know a Capetonian family over dinner in their home.
- Head out for an African sundowner via 4x4 and enjoy the sunset.
- Open your eyes to Zimbabwean culture during a specially-guided tour of a local village.
- Interact with African elephants.
- Enjoy 7 wildlife safaris in search of the "Big 5."
- Be whisked away to the top of Table Mountain on an aerial cable car.
- Witness the incredible beauty and power of Victoria Falls.
- Mt. Nyangani, Zimbabwe's highest peak
- Wild Chimanimani mountains
- Great Zimbabwe Ruins
- Safari in Matobo and Hange NPs
- The mighty Victoria Falls
- Windhoek, capital city tour and visit to diamond polishing plant
- Explore Cape Town
- Enjoy Twice daily game drives
- Drive to Timbavati Private Game Reserve
- Awesome sunset boat cruise on the Zambezi River, enjoy a game drive in the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park
- See the magnificent Victoria Falls
- Experience best of Botswana
- Incredible game drives through the Makgadikgadi Pans National Park
- Awesome panoramic views of the game-rich floodplain and Chobe River
- Explore Zimbabwe to glorious nights in Victoria Falls which is one of Natural Wonders of the World
- Shark cage diving in Cape Town
- Unforgettable visit to Victoria Falls
- Epic wildlife safari in two of Zimbabwe's best national parks
- Explore the Siansimba Islands
- Explore Zambezi River, inside Zambezi National Park
- Experience the incredible views at Victoria Falls
- Enjoy game drive into Hwange National Park and Amazing Wildlife
- Drive along the Panorama Route visiting God's Window
- Bourke's Luck Potholes and the Three Rondavels
- Full Day Game Drives in Kruger National Park from the Tucan Travel truck
- Day trip to Matobo National Park (Rhino tracking on foot
- game driving
- viewing of ancient boulder formations and bushpaintings)
- Visit the Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust and learn about the rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife, human-wildlife conflict and their role in anti-poaching.
- Pay the famous elephants and lions of Hwange National Park a visit from an open-air 4WD vehicle
- Track rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matabos National Park – an exhilarating way to experience the wildlife of Zimbabwe
- Immerse yourself in the ancient culture of the Hananwa people at a small village in South Africa's Limpopo province. Listen to stories of this fascinating community as your hosts prepare you a traditional feast
- Take in out-of-this-world views of Blyde River Canyon. This spectacular gorge is up there with the world's largest, and is the greenest of the lot
- Track the "big five" across the serengeti and the ngorongoro crater in agile safari vehicles
- Chill out at lake malawi
- Explore victoria falls and zanzibar
- Combine contrasting - but consistently luxurious - stays in the city center, wild bush and picturesque Victoria Falls during a single itinerary
- Discover the Cape of Good Hope and the Boulders African penguin colony
- Dive into local cuisine with Chef's Table experiences, dining on a chef-led progressive dinner and cooking traditional dishes side-by-side with a chef
- Experience game drives, bush walks, hippo walks, astronomy and wildlife lectures during a stay at Lion Sands, the only reserve in South Africa to offer safari in both the Sabi and Sand rivers ecosystem
- Cruise the Zambezi River at sunset, taking time to appreciate the fiery African sky
- Explore thunderous Victoria Falls by private walking tour and private cycling tour
- Explore Cape Town is one of the world's most beautiful cities and a top international destination
- Visit Sabi Sands is South Africa's premier private game viewing destination
- See the natural wonders of the world, the Victoria Falls is a World Heritage Site and an extremely popular tourism attraction
- Enjoy boat cruise on the Chobe River, as well as daily game drives
- Opportunity to see natural wonders of the world, the Victoria Falls is a World Heritage Site and an extremely popular tourism attraction
- See the massive Chobe River forms the northern boundary of the Chobe National Park
- Explore Zimbabwe
- Explore Chobe National Park
- Experience this unique and untouched ecosystem by boat, air or game vehicle
- Visit Okavango Delta
- Explore Makgadikgadi salt pans are dry most of the year but are sometimes seasonally covered with water and grasslands.
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Victoria Falls Experiences
- Experiencing Victoria Falls at dawn, when the rising sun first brings the thundering waters into focus, and you sense their incredible power and grandeur.
- Returning to Victoria Falls at dusk, when the setting sun casts a red glow over the towering mists.
- Photographing the falls as rainbows paint the mists in a spectrum of hues.
- Walking the rain forest path directly across from the falls for superb views – if you’re prepared to get wet.
- Flying over the falls in a helicopter or light plane for fabulous overhead views and photos.
- Taking a dinner cruise on the Zambezi River upriver of the falls or riding a scenic train across Victoria Falls Bridge.
- Canoeing on the peaceful river waters above the falls.
- Hyper-charging your adrenaline by bungee jumping off the 420-foot-high Victoria Falls Bridge, the highest commercial jump in the world (not for the faint of heart).
- Whitewater rafting or kayaking down the swirling Zambezi River (including class V rapids) through the gorges below the falls.
- Swinging on a cable across a 442-foot-long, 246-foot-high gorge while in full body harness.
- Swimming beneath the falls, at the bottom of a gorge, or above the falls in a natural pool with a view.
Victoria Falls Trip Reviews
328 Victoria Falls Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
Victoria Falls Tours and Travel Guide
Victoria Falls Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Other waterfalls are higher (Angel Falls), wider (Iguazu Falls), and even more famous (Niagara), but Victoria Falls is the largest single curtain of cascading water on earth. The falls form part of the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe in south-central Africa and are their premier tourist attraction.
A whole set of adventure-laden activities – ranging from bungee-jumping and whitewater rafting to abseiling and “gorge swinging” -- have blossomed around the falls, the gorges below and the Zambezi River. A wide variety of accommodations, restaurants and shops have also sprung up on both sides of the falls and river, but the ultimate attraction remains the cascades themselves.
The Smoke That Thunders
The deafening roar of the waters and the towering mists that can be seen for miles away led to its traditional name Mosi-oa-Tunya, “the smoke that thunders.” When Scottish missionary and explorer David Livingstone came upon the cascades in 1855, he named them after Queen Victoria of England, but “the smoke that thunders” still says it best.
The height of the rainy season (March-May) is the time to catch the falls at their most torrential, but the thickness and height of the spray can obscure the views of the falls themselves, and walking on the pathways near the falls can get wet and slippery. The dry season, which peaks in October and November, means the view of the falls from the Zambian side can be disappointing. But in dry season you can reach Livingstone Island below the falls (from Zambia only) and pathways will be less treacherous.
Though you can visit both sides of the falls, you’ll need to go through border formalities crossing from one country to another and pay visa fees (which may or may not be included on your tour). Which side you stay on will affect some aspects of your visit, even if you end up spending some time on both.
Zimbabwe vs. Zambia
Zimbabwe used to be the side to stay on, with its classic colonial-style Victoria Falls Hotel located a short distance from the falls (even if you don’t stay there, you can still drop in for a very British high tea), and better views of the falls in general. But Zimbabwe has had well publicized civil strife under the iron rule of Robert Mugabe, and Zambia has been the beneficiary; it’s attracting an increasing number of tourists, even though Zimbabwe’s town of Victoria Falls has stepped up its police presence and made the area safer.
Both countries offer a range of accommodations from deluxe to simple guest houses, though many on the Zambian side are in the town of Livingstone, several miles from the falls. Victoria Falls is a frequent add-on to wildlife safaris, whether in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Chobe National Park in Botswana (the nearest major game park) or those further afield. You can also take horseback safaris, elephant rides, or even commune with lions.
Whatever your choice of trips, Stride can help you find it – and turn your Victoria Falls fantasies into reality.
All Victoria Falls tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Victoria Falls trips.