Whale Watching - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Nothing beats the thrill of seeing a majestic whale breach, soaring into the air and crashing back down into the ocean. It's a spectacular display, not to be missed and visible virtually all around the world. Optimize your chances of glimpsing this stunning creature in it's natural habitat by taking a guided tour that includes whale watching excursions. Your guide will know the best places to witness whales and be able to provi ... Read More
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Explore Silver Bank: The region of the Silver Bank was one of the shipping routes that were the lifelines of the Spanish Empire. In September 1641, the Spanish galleon Nuestra Senora de la Pura y Limpia Concepcion set sail from Havana, Cuba, laden with treasure. A week later, she was nearly destroyed by a hurricane and began a month-long trek to Puerto Rico for repairs. But just short of the goal, the Concepcion struck a shallow reef and began to sink, losing 300 passengers and crew and a fortune in silver that inspired the reef’s name.
Enjoy watching the Wildlife: Humpback Whales: Humpback whales are extravagant creatures, ranging from 40-50 feet in length and weighing in at 35-40 tons. They derive their name from the distinctive high humping of their back when they dive and also from the pronounced hump at the leading edge of their dorsal fin. Watch in awe as the whales put on a show, slapping their wing-like pectoral fins on the surface of the sea, lobtailing, breaching, spyhopping and peduncle throws.
- Enjoy Loreto
- Relax at our coastal campsite in San Ignacio
- Visit the prehistoric cave paintings and rock art near Mulege
- Visit Cueva de la Soledad
- Explore Tromsø
- Enjoy Hike up a trail to the 306 metres high hill Storheia
- Chances to spot Orca's, Humpback Whales and if lucky White-tailed Eagles
- Opportunity to experience the Northern Lights
- Falmouth and Cape Cod
- Martha's Vineyard
- Downeaster Railway journey
- Mount Washington Cog Railway
- North Conway Scenic Railroad
- Mount Washington Valley
- White Mountains
- Boston including a sightseeing tour
- Whale watching cruise by catamaran
- Enjoy the Baja whale watching in Magdalena Bay
- Explore Magdalena Bay, Loreto Bay National Marine Park also has exclusive islands, the waters of which are home to blue-footed boobies, fin whales, blue whales, dolphins and sea lions.
- Explore Sea of Cortez is the perfect spot for a mini vacation and whale watching.
- Have an opportunity to kayak, hike or snorkel, or take in the assortment of animals and massive whales.
- Visit Loreto
- Enjoy whale watching session
- Enjoy Kayaking in the Sea of Cortez
- Kayak with orcas in the BEST place in the world to observe killer whales
- See killer whales as they feed on salmon
- Spend a full 6 days in whale territory
- Pass playful dolphins and curious porpoises
- One of the trip highlights is snorkeling with friendly sea lions at Los Islotes, volcanic islets where playful sea lion pups dive off the rocks and pirouette below you. Other activities include hiking up colorful arroyos studded with tall cactus, snorkeling amongst hundreds of tropical fish, paddling below fantastic rock formations, and enjoying margaritas on the beach as the sun sets.
- Our motorized support boat carries all camping gear and the makings for fabulous meals prepared by your guides with a Mexican flair. Your kayaks are light and easy to paddle between camps while the accompanying motorboat provides an additional level of safety.
- Intense natural beauty, abundant wildlife, sunny weather and warm waters make Espiritu Santo Island a world-class sea kayaking destination. Join us and discover for yourself why Espiritu Santo Island is a paddler’s paradise!
- All tours include a snorkeling excursion with the sea lions of Los Islotes (weather dependent) as well as hotel included in the trip cost, and are motorboat-supported for easier paddling and lighter kayaks. Trip begins and ends in La Paz, Baja California Sur.
- Explore Loreto
- Enjoy Whale Watching in Magdalena Bay
- Exploring swimming, dune walking, whale watching
- Visit Loreto
- Explore tranquil colonial town
- Visit is Cueva de la Soledad
- Visit Port McNeill
- Experience the Broughton Archipelago Marine Provincial Park
- Enjoy first Nations culture as you slowly paddle through this pristine wilderness and go hiking through ancient island rainforests
- Visit Staffa and Fingal's cave
- Explore Ardtornish castle
- Watch whales, seabirds, seals, dolphins and porpoises
- Cruise over natural anchorage of Tayvallich, once a famous Viking harbor
- Explore Tobermory, one of the most picturesque towns in the Western Isles
- Get an opportunity to see eagles, sharks, whales, porpoises and dolphins, as well as many types of seabirds
- Explore Ushuaia
- Relax on deck as we sail through the Beagle Channel, passing colonies of Magellanic penguins, rock cormorants and sea lions.
- Enjoy sailing across the Drake Passage
- Visit Half Moon Island in Livingston’s eastern shore, or conditions permitting visit historic Deception Island.
- Visit the Malt Whisky capital of the world – Islay
- Enjoy the magnificent Munro mountains
- Visit Lagavulin distillery and other world famous distilleries
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Whale Watching Experiences
Taking a sailing cruise in the Maldives and getting to see the more unusual species present in tropical waters
Going on a guided tour of the "Whale Route" in South Africa
Midnight sun whale watching in Iceland
Witnessing the spectacular "lunge feeding" display by enormous humpback whales in Alaska
Seeing the incredible variety of species in Baja, Mexico
Orca viewing in the Johnstone Strait area of Vancouver Island
Whale Watching Trip Reviews
12 Whale Watching Tour Reviews - Summary 100% Recommend
Whale Watching Tours and Travel Guide
Whale Watching Attractions & Landmarks Guide
Nothing beats the thrill of seeing a majestic whale breach, soaring into the air and crashing back down into the ocean. It's a spectacular display, not to be missed and visible virtually all around the world. Optimize your chances of glimpsing this stunning creature in it's natural habitat by taking a guided tour that includes whale watching excursions. Your guide will know the best places to witness whales and be able to provide extensive information on the particular species.
All Whale Watching tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.9 for all Whale Watching trips.