Tokyo - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- CITY TOUR of Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo
- VIEW the Nachi waterfall in Kumano, Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi
- VISIT Osaka Castle, the Abeno Harukas Observatory in Osaka, the Kongobuji Temple, the Danjo Garan Temple in Mt. Koya, the Ise Jingu Shrine, Mikimoto Pearl Island in Shima, the Ninja Museum, Ueno Castle in Iga, Bamboo Forest, Kinkakuji Temple, Sanjusangendo Hall in Kyoto, the Tokyo Tower, Sensoji Buddhist Temple, the Imperial Palace Plaza, the 5th station at Mt. Fuji
- Take a glimpse of the culture of East Asia by visiting Tokyo and Seoul;
- Cooking class for Japanese and Korean cuisine;
- Enjoy hotspring in Hakone;
- Shopping in Seoul
- See the Imperial Palace, Asakusa Sensoji Temple and Nakamise Street.
- See the Meiji Jingu Shrine, Harajuku & Shibuya Crossing.
- Tsukiji fish market
- Take in the incredible views from the Hakone Ropeway
- Ferry to Miyajima Island and see Itsukushima Shrine
- Visit the Peace Memorial Museum
- Stay at a Buddhist guesthouse
- Enjoy a traditional Buddhist meal
- Explore historic Imperial Palace (Tokyo)
- See the majestic Mt. Fuji
- Visit Hakone National Park
- Opportunity to see the Shirakawago (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- Visit Ancient town in Takayama
- Sightseeing in Kyoto
- Visit the Asaichi
- Drive through the awakening streets of Nanao to the island of Noto
- Ride back in time through sleepy fishing villages and past lush forests
- Explore the beautiful gardens of Kanazawa
- Experience fabulous Bike ride through the winding mountains before exploring an amazing Buddhist temple.
- Visit to this fascinating country by taking a trip on the metro (tickets included) to the Shinjuku District
- Discover Tokyo
- Visit the Buddhist temple of Sensoji, the oldest and most important temple in Tokyo
- Visit the Fuji Sengen Shrine set in a magical site surrounded by tall trees
- Opportunity to admire the Shiraito Falls
- Visit the Tenryuji temple, one of the "five major Zen temples of Kyoto" and a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- See the Horyuji Buddhist temple, a World Heritage Site that includes a seminary, monasteries and temples
- Experience the highlights that Japan has to offer with this comprehensive 13 day highlights
- Explore areas of Tokyo, Hakone, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Kyoto with a private guide
- Explore Seoul
- See the Changdeokgung Palace, this is a World Heritage Site formed by a group of palaces inside a large
- Visit Jeonju, where we will see its fascinating old town (Hanok Village), with its tiny houses, traditional shops and art galleries
- Visit Ishiteji, a beautiful Buddhist temple and a place of pilgrimage
- Visit the famous Nijubashi Bridge
- See the Matsumoto, a tourist city, where we will visit the impressive 16th century castle, known as the “Crow Castle”
Explore city of Seoul lasting five hours. We will see Changdeokgung Palace
- City of Suwon, former capital of Korea
- Explore Haeinsa, a Buddhist temple built in the year 802 where we discover the Tripitaka
- Tour to Busan, we are in the second largest city in Korea
- Visit to this fascinating city by taking a trip on the metro (tickets included) to the Shinjuku district
- Experience the dazzling lights and sounds of the famous Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo
- Marvel at breathtaking Mt. Fuji from Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park
- Take a class in sushi-making and the ancient art of calligraphy
- Bike around the traditional gardens of the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto
- Stay in a traditional Japanese “ryokan” style inn
- Visit to this fascinating country by taking a trip on the metro to the Shinjuku district
- See the Zojoji Temple to make a beautiful photograph of the Tokyo Tower
- Visit the Buddhist temple of Sensoji, the oldest temple in Tokyo
- See the we see the Arakurayama Sengen Park, with its beautiful pagodas
- Visit the Fuji Sengen Shrine set in a magical site surrounded by tall trees
- Explore contemporary imperial Beijing
- Visit the Great Wall, Forbidden City and hutong
- Enjoy a taste of Beijing roasted duck
- Visit the terracotta army in ancient capital, Xian
- Explore the modern futuristic Shanghai
- Visit bustling Tokyo
- Enjoy a cruise on the Sumida River
- Take a cooking class of Japan cuisine
- Immerse yourself in Kyoto's culture, learn Japanese tea ceremony and try kimono.
- Visit Mt Seorak National Park
- Explore a Korean traditional village in Andong
- Visit Tumuli Park and Gyeongju National Museum
- Explore the vibrant Osaka
- Enjoy exploring Kyoto
- Visit Ancient Nara
- Visit Osaka Castle
- Take a cruise on Lake Ashi and visit Owakudani Valley and Hakone Shrine.
- Experience Japan's perfect combination of tradition and modern.
- Explore Senso-ji, one of Japan’s oldest and most sacred temples
- See the modern skyscrapers, including the Tokyo Tower in Tokyo’s downtown
- Learn about the unique history of Kyoto, Japan’s cultural and spiritual capital
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Nijo-jo Castle and Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion)
- Explore the grounds of the Kyoto Imperial Palace
- See the majestic Mt. Fuji from many vantage points
- See the modern skyscrapers, including the Tokyo Skytree tower in Tokyo’s downtown
- Take-in cultural experiences and sights in Kyoto and Nara
- Learn about the unique history of Hiroshima, before and after the events of WWII
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Tokyo Experiences
Tokyo Trip Reviews
119 Tokyo Tour Reviews - Summary 100% Recommend
Tokyo Tours and Travel Guide
Tokyo Attractions & Landmarks GuideThe neon-lit city of Tokyo is the pulsating heart of Japan, where ancient shrines, temples and gardens form peaceful retreats in the shadows of ultra-modern high-rises and teeming streets, and small noodle shops survive amid cutting-edge sushi bars. You can shop in the Ginza, take in the panoramic views from the 2,000-foot high Tokyo Skytree, and watch for Mt. Fuji on a clear day. A good guided tour will help you navigate through the maze.
All Tokyo tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Tokyo trips.