Train & Rail Journeys - Best Tours & Trips 2019
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Price Per Day
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Get Member Savings Sign up to become a member to get access to Member Savings trips. These trips are discounted beyond the tour operator’s best price. Membership is free and only requires your email.
Rivers & Seas
Cities & Attractions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flights & Transport
Continents & Regions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Stride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Beautiful Paris including a city tour
- A guided tour of Milan
- Entrance to La Scala
- Tour of Venice with a local guide
- An iconic overnight journey aboard the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express
- A celebratory Champagne reception
- See some of europe’s classic cities with time to explore
- Get the best view of the alps from your train seat
- Enjoy the charm of the countryside
- Sample regional flavours from paris’ pastries to german beer
- Denali National Park & Preserve
- Glacier cruise
- Kenai Fjords National Park
- Miles and miles of stunning scenery and amazing wildlife!
- Ride the Golden Eagle Train along the traditional Siberian railway
- Enjoy an entire day at Lake Baikal, the oldest and deepest lake in the world
- See Moscow’s Red Square Metro stations and enjoy a tour of the Kremlin
- Visiting cities like Kazan,Yekaterinburg ,Novosibirsk,Irkutsk,Ulan Ude and Ulaanbaatar
- Seeing pristine Siberian villages and landscapes
- See the naadam games in ulaanbaatar
- Visit the oldest private colonial mansion in Lima
- Spot majestic condors at the Colca Canyon
- Scenic Andean Explorer train journey from the altiplano to Cuzco
- Exquisite service and dramatic landscapes onboard the Rocky Mountaineer train
- Travel one of the most picturesque routes in the Rockies from Jasper to Banff
- Ride an all-terrain Ice Explorer and step out on an ancient glacier
- Stand on a glass platform suspended 918 feet above the Sunwapta Valley
- Visit awesome andbeyond Phinda Private Game Reserve which is this Reserve comprises seven distinct habitats – from dry sand forest to wetland systems and mountain ranges
- Explore KwaZulu Natal North Coast offers spectacular beaches all along its coastline and is divided into two distinct sections
- Drive through Pretoria South Africa's capital is home beautiful Jacaranda Trees, the Union Buildings, museums, embassies and the country's most succesful rugby franchise, The Blue Bulls.
- See the impressive natural wonders of the world, the Victoria Falls is a World Heritage Site and an extremely popular tourism attraction.
- Travel for five nights aboard the Palace on Wheels, a train designed in the style of a bygone era, evoking the splendor of the maharajas.
- Explore six UNESCO World Heritage sites, including Fatehpur Sikri and the incomparable Taj Mahal.
- Search for tigers in Ranthambhore National Park, and spot rare birds and other wildlife in Keoladeo Ghana National Park.
- Take a sunset camel safari among the evocative dunes of the Thar Desert.
- Encounter the spirit of Asia as you journey from the vibrant, modern cities of Bangkok and Singapore, to the enchanted island of Bali
- Embrace the sophistication of travel by rail on a three-night journey from Bangkok to Singapore aboard the Eastern & Oriental Express
- Take in the soaring skyscrapers, luxury boutiques and neon nightlife of Bangkok and Singapore
- Discover the exquisite beauty of ox-tilled earth and floating lotus flower farms on your journey through rural Thailand and Malaysia
- Experience the rich and intriguing culture of Bali as you visit exotic temples, travel through diverse landscapes of scenic rice paddies and relax on sun-soaked beaches
- Experience a private game reserve after dark in an open top 4x4 vehicle
- Try to spot the Big Five in Kruger National Park on a full day game drive
- Take a drive along the Panoramic Route, some of the most stunning scenery South Africa has to offer, on a full day guided tour.
- Journey to Cape Town aboard the Shosholoza Meyl in a tourist class sleeper cabin passing arid Karoo, traversing the Hex River Pass and pasing through the beautiful winelands under vast mountains outside of Cape Town.
- Relax in the lush environs of Stellenbosch with a glass of wine in hand after a city tour
- Take in the beauty of Cape Town's coast while driving along the Cape Peninsula via Cape Point Nature Reserve and the Cape of Good Hope
- Enjoy the timeless elegance on Rovos Rail
- Watch the changing Southern African landscape
- Visit the Kimberley Big Hole & Fish River Canyon
- Go game viewing in the renowned Etosha National Park
- Journey from Cape Town to Victoria Falls on Rovos Rail, a luxurious private train recalling the romance of Victorian era railroad travel.
- Encounter African wildlife during boat excursions on the Zambezi River and safari game drives in national parks and on a private reserve.
- Explore Robben Island, where political prisoners like Nelson Mandela were held during Apartheid, in the company of a former inmate.
- Bristol and its Christmas Market
- Bath, a UNESCO World Heritage City
- Bath Christmas Market
- The Avon Valley Railway
- Lacock Abbey and village
- Ride the Golden Eagle Train along the traditional Siberian railway
- Entire day at Lake Baikal, the oldest and deepest lake in the world
- Moscow’s Red Square Metro stations and tour of the Kremlin
- Visiting cities like Kazan,Yekaterinburg,Novosibirsk,Irkutsk,Ulan Ude and Ulaanbaatar
- Pristine Siberian villages and landscapes
- Daily lectures about countries, people and culture, on board the train
- Visit the Military port of Vladivostok
- Explore Gandan Monastery in the capital of Mongolia
- Explore Venice
- Visit to Florence
- Discover Rome
- Reserved rail space between each city
In order to see Stride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Train & Rail Journeys Experiences
Looking at the rolling hills and Siberian villages
Exploring different cities each day
Taking Maharaja Express from Delhi and along the way visiting colorful city Rajasthan and the Taj Mahal in Agra
Taking a rail journey through the Chunnel to France
Train & Rail Journeys Trip Reviews
554 Train & Rail Journeys Tour Reviews - Summary 97% Recommend
Train & Rail Journeys Tours and Travel Guide
Train & Rail Journeys Attractions & Landmarks Guide
A rail journey is be one of the most pleasant ways to travel imaginable. Whether it's aboard a luxury sightseeing train in South Africa, Peru, Europe, or Alaska, or an adventurous trip through India or across Siberia, long rail journeys allow you to sit back, view the scenery, read a book, have some meals, get some sleep, and meet other passengers if you're so inclined. Wherever you want to go, Stride will help keep you on track.
Covering Vast Landscapes
Traveling by train provides a view of vast landscapes unlike any other mode of transportation. Imagine gazing out across the expanse of Siberia, the impressive Alaskan landscape, and crossing through countries in Europe, seeing the change in topography. Its a stunning experience, at once feeling of the landscape and seeing it pass by in the blink of an eye. Bring your wide angle lens for spectacular photographs!
A Slower Way to Travel
Choosing a train means you get more time to explore your stops. As opposed to the hassle of getting out of the airport during a layover, train stops are much easier to plan around. From quaint mountain towns in Switzerland, to fascinating history in Bangkok, to sampling local food in India, a rail journey covers more ground allowing you to experience more in a shorter period of time. On the other hand sometimes the railway itself is the slowness in the equation. Chugging merrily along through the alps, for example, time itself takes on a different meaning as you travel through the ancient mountains taking in the scenery.
An Important Historical Milestone
Train travel first began in the mid 1800s, and caused a major stir. Suddenly access to farther away cities and countries was not such an ordeal. What would have taken several weeks by horse and carriage, now could take significantly shorter. Allowing a wider demographic to travel, becoming exposed to other cultures, languages, and customs. Traveling by train today might seem quaint and leisurely but imagine marveling at the speed and modernity in the 19th century! When you travel by train you are participating in what was the pinnacle of innovation.
All Train & Rail Journeys, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all Train & Rail Journeys trips.